View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:41 PM

Fostering a Basset Hound pup that is not healthy at all... Need some advice!!

Hello all!

Well, this is a strange situation. My husband's mother is in love with the Basset Hound breed. Several weeks ago, she adopted a little male pup. He had some skin problems when she got him and so took him to the vet. He was given his injections plus an antibiotic to help his skin. Within a week, his fur was growing back and he was feeling great. Next thing we know, he's grown like a weed and his fur is clean and glossy and just as it should be. He is a happy camper now. Now the hard part happens. The people who had the litter of bassets called my mom-in-law up and asked if she was willing to take the last three for free. They just couldn't get rid of them and knew that mom-in-law wouldn't have the heart to say no. So, she took them. They were two males and one female. Needless to say, they also have horrible skin conditions and are very skinny. The following day, I went with her to the veterinarians office to have them checked out. They all three received their injections and antibiotics and wormer as well. Their skin condition was diagnosed as mainge(sp???), which is what we suspected it to be. Don't worry, mom-in-law has already reported the people who owned the litter. We certainly don't want them to have any more pups as they own both the mom and dad (who for some strange reason didn't have any skin problems).

Anywho, have a total of four bassets on her hands, mom-in-law asked if my husband and I would be willing to take one of them on. As we live in our own apartment and my huskies are living at my mom and dad's house, we figured why not. This pup is also the smallest and most skinny of the three of them and has been refusing food and water. So we bring the pup home and try to get him settled in. (remember, he would be staying at the vet's, but the vet didn't seem to think he was serious enough to stay in the hospital) Pup walks around for a few minutes, squats down, and squirts out an enourmous amount of blood and poo mixed with worms. I immediately call the vet's office to tell them what just happened. They tell me that right now it is normal and actually good. They say that the wormer he received was doing its job. They also said that by losing all those worms, the pup will regain his appetite. I'm not so sure. Vet also said that seperating the pup from his littermates and getting some one-on-one time was a good idea, too.

So this pup is weak, won't eat or drink water, and has bloody squirts with worms. Is this really okay or does the vet need to go to school for a few more years? Maybe I should get a second opinion.

So I just wondered if any of you might be able to give me some suggestions as to how I should try to get this pup to eat. Mom-in-law has tried puppy chow soaked in milk, dry chow, and wet canned food. Pup won't even eat a bite. I tried balling up some of the canned food and putting it in the back of his troat, closing his jaws, and stroked his throat to encourage him to swallow. He just holds the food on his tongue and spits it out as soon as I let go of his mouth.

I think this pup needs more help than I can offer it. I am a poor college student and can't afford huge vet bills, especially for a pup that I am not going to keep. Mom-in-law is planning on rehoming the pups once they are healthy, too, so she also isn't able to put a ton of money into them. What should I do with my pup? Is there hope or is he going down hill fast? I sure would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!!!

Edit to add: Vet did not say a single word about the pup having parvo. Hope that he would have suggested it if it's possible the pup has parvo. *sigh*
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I`d be wanting a second opinon and fast
If vet fees are a problem, is there a rescue you can contact for help ? If you were in UK we could suggest you contact a PDSA or Blue Cross vet but I have no idea if there are similar set-ups where you are in the US to help with this sort of circumstance

Either way though, this sounds like one very poorly pup who needs proper vet care asap

Edited to add, found some Basset rescues, cant hurt to try calling them for help [ Oklahoma branches ]:

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/oklahoma.htm

Oklahoma
Basset Hound Rescue of Oklahoma
Phone: 918-371-7329Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue
479-443-4364
Mid-America Basset Rescue
Phone:913-481-6227

http://www.4thehounds.org/
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Worms or not, a pup that won't eat is a serious situation, especially when combined with bloody diarrhea. I would seek a second opinion and quick!
Zanny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Have you tries weetabix and milk. That usually temps a puppy to eat.

Best of luck with this and keep us up dated.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I would get a second opinion what worries my the most is you say the dog wont drink he will become dehydrated very quickly and that is serious. Cant beleive the vet didnt pick this up. A pup has to have fluids.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Iwould get a second opion and fast as the vet you have seen needs to be reducated , i hope they sort the litle fellow out and he makes a speedy recovery
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 10:08 AM
There is allegedly a LOT of blood with parvo and it has a sweet sickly smell. The wee chap is probably out of sorts with all the moving around and missing his Mum and littermates etc etc. And with all the worms too he is maybe emotionally upset or depressed. When my dog would not eat, he changed his mind when offered a bit of liver so you could try human food in small quantities. Offer him ice cubes to lick from your hand which might tempt him to take in some fluid. But I would also get a second opinion as suggested before, just in case.:smt001 I hope he is ok. Keep us posted.
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give an update. Not just a few hours after I posted this, pup went downhill fast. He did not respond to anything at all. He did not even have the strength to hold his own head up. Took him to emergency vet and was told there was not much they could do but try and make him comfortable, as he was so far gone, confirmed it was parvo. As this was not my dog and also did not have the money to spend on bills for a dog I might not get to even take home, so opted to put him out of his misery. He's better now, running around rainbow bridge. Thanks for your help, everyone.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, sounds like the poor little chap didn't have a chance and should have been treated by his breeders much sooner. You did your best for him.
Run free little one.
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh poor poor wee lad, how are his siblings doing? They may well have it too, poor things.

Run free little boy. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >