Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tailwagger
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Questions regarding Glucosamine

Neb (9 year old Lab X) was having his annual booster at the vets today and I mentioned that his back legs seem a little weak sometimes and collapse under him. It only happens rarely but thought I'd mention it anyway. She said his joints seemed a bit stiff and recommended I start giving him Glucosamine tablets. She also said cod liver oil was a cheaper alternative but not as good.

Googling Glucosamine for dogs I found a product called flexi-joints made by Vets Vits which seems to have other ingredients which claim to help.

Does anyone have experience of this product?
What do you guys and gals use for your older dogs?

Thanks
Dave
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Synoquin or Cosequin for me. They can be quite expensive but I have found that both give good results.
I have not had the experience with dogs but I used Synoquin for my old cat. She had an operation on her back leg and after that her back leg was always really stiff. I tried her on various supplements and Synoquin was the one that I really saw a difference with!

I work at a veterinary surgery and these are the 2 that we use mainly and have had nothing but positive feedback from clients.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod1.asp?ID=154
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I use Synflex for Teagan...
http://synflexforpets.co.uk/
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 10:36 PM
we used just glucosamine 500mg 2 x daily for tansy and she was skipping about like a young one,and thats what my sis uses on her lab,hope you find one of them will work for you xx
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I use glucosamine for me & the dog,I swear by it.I buy the pet ones & mine from Healthy Direct,
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I give Levi (American Cocker) Glucosamine & Chondroitin. I just get the Asda own brand ones they're £4.88 for 30 tablets.

I started giving him these when he tore a cruciate ligament. I wanted to avoid an operation if possible, and giving these tablets combined with a prolonged period of rest (16 weeks) got him back to normal. I give cod liver oil in addition to this.

Dawn R.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Haven't tried Glucosamine yet....am in the middle of trying cod liver oil and have to sya they have had no impact on our Mo (10 year old BC) at all...
Check out this thread I posted not so long ago.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=60804&page=2
I know the thread is about Mo sneezing but Mini posted some interesting stuff about fish oils on there,which could be worth you considering.
I see that Pedigree have jumped on the band wagon and brought out a chew stick that is good for joints. I have no idea what they are like as I checked out the ingredients and they inclue New Zealand green Mussel extract (which you could consider for your dog, it's supposed to be excellent) we can't give it to Mo as it will mess his liver enzymes results up!!!
Good luck in finding something that helps.
ax
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi, holland & barrett advertise glucosamine for pets on their 'net site, my human (sometimes I have to wonder ) friend ,takes it for her arthritis, and says it's better than any painkiller and doesn't have the nauseous side affects, I've heard it's very good for dogs, but had no personal experiance of this.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Just been on the H&B site, 60 tablets for £17.99 ouch,I'm sure you could get some cheaper somewhere else, not sure of the strength though, they did contain chondroitin, but if they help is it realy that expensive!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 01:01 PM
i pay £6,99 for 90 tablets for pets from healthy direct
Its 1 tablet per 10k bodyweight so it depends how heavy your dog is how this works out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >