Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chericep
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Tough Decisions

I'm actually on the hunt for a new puppy. I'm thinking about a great dane, but I might end up looking for one at the shelter. Still to be decided. This I have to admit is one of the toughest decisions in my life. Once it is over it's going to be all downhill. Me and my puppy, whoever he/she is, are going to have a lot of fun in the years ahead.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way is the best way? Start fresh with a puppy, or adopt one who really might need a home?
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Ive done both adopted from a shelter and bought a pedigree. I cant help either way as both have been brilliant. But so many lovely dogs in shelters need a home more than a bought one from a breeder, why not look at a Great Dane rescue, see if they have any youngsters?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I think it depends on the life you lead. If you are happy that your dog will be with you pretty much 24/7, then getting a pup and a great dane at that, should be fine.

however, if you do intend to do non-doggy things on a fairly frequent basis (including work, afternoons out with non-doggy friends etc. etc) then your selection criteria may change.

For example, my OH loves great danes & we seriously considered getting one, but then found out that due to their high risk of bloat, you couldn't really leave them by themselves for the 4 hours or so that we often leave our dogs.

Because of our lifestyle, we found it easier to take on older rescue dogs & personally I think this is the way we will always go - it is so rewarding (+ if they sometimes misbehave you have the excuse that you didn't have them from a pup! .

Good luck in your decision and let us know how you get on