Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Fairy Powerspray - help!

In a rare moment of madness, I decided to clean the oven. Being baked on hard, the dirt was going to be hard to shift so I used Fairy powerspray. Apart from the fact that it hardly touched it, despite wiping and wiping with a cloth wrung out in clean water, every time I turn the oven on, it stinks! I'm afraid to use it now in case the food gets contaminated as there must still be traces of the stuff around.
Any advice please?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
It will smell for a bit as the stuff gets into all the bits that hands can't get to. It shouldn't effect your food though.

Try turning the oven on to it's highest setting and leave it for about 10 mins. Hopefully that should burn off whatever is there

Try using Ovenpride cleaner if you can get it. It's the best one I know of, and I've tried loads.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
You haven't cleaned a self-cleaning oven with it have you?

That might make it pong a bit as the sides are pourous.

Otherwise I suggest what Wolfie did, turn it on high and let it sort itself out, you'll be fine.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I'll look out for Ovenpride but I don't hold out too much hope out here in the sticks. Brillo pads seem to be the height of cleaning sophistication here
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't think it's self cleaning as it was the cheapest the landlord could find when I moved in but I guess wacking it on to max heat should do the trick either way.
Thanks guys!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Give it a once over with Bicarbonate of Soda. Should neautralise the smell.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks folks!
Despite it being the hottest day of the year, I wacked it up to max temperature Friday night, left it going during Emmerdale, and it's fine. Did some southern fried chicken in it, that was the only smell, tasted fine, so job done! Phew!