Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Wheezing?

I don't know if anyone remembers me mentioneing about Kingsley's Wheezing.
Well, thats the only word I can think of to describe it.

His head goes down, his ears slightly back, but towards the middle of his head, and he 'wheezes'. His throat goes all tight (to the touch) when he does it.

Last time the vet looked at him, he said it could be fluid on his lungs.

He has been doing it quite a lot the past week, and he has also been sick twice in the past 5 days.
The vomit was very unexpected (not after food/play etc), and practically projectile.

Kingsley is up to date with all his vaccinations.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
I've tried to see whyen he wheezes, but there doesn't seem to be anything that triggers it off. It's not after eating/drinking/playing/exercising etc.

We are going to the vets tonight, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas in the meantime.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that he also sneezes a lot. He has always sneezed, since I got him as a pup.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Could he have an allergy, which is causing either asthma - that will account for the tight throat etc due to trying to breath, or he could get something in his throat/nose which causes a reaction.

i hope this helps, it isn't much i know.

Ian
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Hevvur are you talking about an 'episode' when Kingsley stands still, goes stiff and make a noise a cross between a donkey braying/snorting/long sneeze and the whole thing last a moment and is sometimes repeated? If so this usually happens when a dog gets something in its nostrels, it may be too small for you to see If you think about it a dog has no hands to blow its nose so this and sneezing are the only way to clear its nose I have observed this happens more in small breeds and I guess being nearer the ground they pick up more bits. Also it is worse when you walk through grass, the seeds I expect.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 05:29 PM
It happens quite often...sometimes 10/20 times per day, every day, sometimes once a week.
I've tried to see if I can link it to anything, and so far come up with nothing!
Nothing seems to make it worse, and nothing seems to make it better!

Last night he was doing it for about 15 mins
This morning not at all, but today (about 3:30/4pm) for about 5 mins.
Meg
Supervisor

28-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Sounds a lot of times Hevvur, the thing I describe above I have only seen happen occasionally Is it as I describe, are we talking about the same thing do you think...like a long sneeze that goes on and on?. ..Hevvur I see you say he has' been sick'...could he have got vomit in his nose? It certainly sounds like irritation of some kind in the nose or the upper respiratory tract doesn't it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 06:26 PM
When he's wheezing, it sounds nothing like when he sneezed.
It actually sounds like when a person wheezes (as if they are having an asthma attack).
Each 'breath' is long, and drawn out though, not short like a 'normal' breath.
When I feel his throat when he's doing it, it is very taught/tense.

Yeah, it does sound like an irritation, but not sure where, or whats causing it.
I'm hoping the vet can shed some light, as he is really worrying me!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Back from the vets now!
Kingsley has a 'Collapsing Trachea'.

It's common in toy breeds. The vets said Kingsley needs to loose a bit of weight, as he has a thick neck, and this isn't helping.

He's been given some tablets (anti-inflamitries I think).

Been looking on the internet to get some more info (Collapsed Trachea).
I'm also going to switch him over to a harness, rather than a collar when walking, as his collar could be putting pressure on his neck.

The vet said sometimes they can have these 'attacks' so bad, that they get no air at all in the lungs and pass out. As they pass out, the body relaxes - so does the windpipe, so they wake up straight away. He said lets stop it before this happens.
Carole
Supervisor

28-01-2005, 08:44 PM
poor Kingsley at least you know whats wrong now.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Poor Kingsley
But it sounds as though it can be dealt with.
How will you get weight off him? Poor boy, on a diet with the DW weightwatchers!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 08:47 PM
The vet said the best way is to cut down carbohydrates (dry doggy food). He said the mince he is on is fine. So I will just cut down the dry-complete food!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >