Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Cut Pad ~ How to treat?

Hi Guys,

Archie cut his pad out walking last Saturday. It bled quite abit at the time, so I called my Dad to come and pick us up. (Thanks goodness for Daddies!)

He was on house arrest (Archie, not my Dad. )till Tuesday evening when he got a short on lead walk, no problems. He's had full normal walks the last few days. No lameness, just stops occasionally to lick the pad when he's offlead.

After walks I stand him in the bath with some warm water and hibiscrub in it to clean it out. Is there anything else I can be putting on it to help it heal? This is how it looks today. (Sorry bout the blurry pics!!)

Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I usually clean after each walk with warm salt water or hibiscrub just like you for small cuts, but for deeper cuts its a visit to the vet just incase it needs stitched or antibiotics if needed for any infections.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
It's difficult to get a good idea from the piccy. If the pad is cut open and gaping, then it will probably need staples putting in to pull it back together. I would get it checked out to be honest as infection could set in.
Your doing right to bath paw in warm, boiled salt water. It will keep the wound clean and the vet would probably advise it anyway.
Difficult I know but try and keep it covered outdoors. A cotton sock with some bandage tape round it.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know if at this stage there is much point at getting it stitched/stapled. I'd rather it heal from the inside out as well. No signs of infection at all (fingers crossed) as yet.

I have some baby socks here, so will use them for our walks. :smt001
gypsygirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2007, 04:42 PM
What I did for my dog that had, what looks like much the same cut. On walks he wore a sock with a plastic bag taped over to keep it clean and dry.
They can take a long time to heal, so be patient.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Years ago my old boy now long gone to the bridge cut his pad very badly and had to have it stitched, after about 10 days the stitches were removed and we came out of the vets and walked a few steps to the car and put him in. When we went to get him out at home there esd blood sal over the cover he was on and yes it had burst open again. So I think you are right in not having it stitched and letting it heal from inside, so long as you keep it clean and cover it with a sock covered in polythene it will heal given time. When my old boy had his I bought a silver shoe type thing with some padding and a suede sole, but it is so long ago can't remember where I got it, but sure if you google it it will come up with something . Hope this helps.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I rang the local pet shop to see if they stock those pet boots, they say the earliest they can get them in is on tuesday, so having a look online for next day delivery now.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 06:58 PM
i don't know if you have pets at home in ireland??as they sell the mikki boots (the silver padded boot)don't go by the sizes on the packet though as they are useless,if there is no bandage on i had a size0 for a staffy x,hope you get him sorted
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Aparently we do, but nowhere near me.
Bit of a bummer, cos it's hard to know what size to order. Thanks for your info on sizes, Griff.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
To be honest, it does look like it needs a few stitches in it and a course of anti-b's.

Luca badly gashed her paw 10 days after I got her. 5 stitches and £103.00 later, she was fine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >