View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
traceyhome
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:26 AM

please but an end to this argument (C section question)

hi ,could you please tell me if it is true or not. that if a bitch has a c section with one litter, she can then go on to have a free whelp with another litter.
kind regards tracey
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Not sure, but someone with more experience of litters is sure to help you out x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Yes it is perfectly normal for that to happen. my friends Border had a cesar the first time, whelped 5 this time not a bit of trouble.
Dawn.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:18 AM
I also know people that there bitches had a c-section and then whelped normally afterwards.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Depends on the reason for the C section.

If it was inertia, it is likely to happen again and require a second C section to deliver. This could also have a hereditary element.

If it was malpresentation or large size of a puppy that caused it, this is less likely to be repeated.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:55 AM
I would ask advice from the Vet and find out the reason for the C section and the time that should be left for healing befor having another litter. C section is a big op and the internal scaring can cause problems.

There can be a hereditary element.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Depends on the reason for the C section.

If it was inertia, it is likely to happen again and require a second C section to deliver. This could also have a hereditary element.

If it was malpresentation or large size of a puppy that caused it, this is less likely to be repeated.
Hello Tracy and welcome to Dogsey you have given very little informations not even the age and breed of the bitch concerned, perhaps it was an accidental mating with a dog of a larger breed

As Pod says the reason for the original C section is a major factor. If inertia was involved it is likely to happen again
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 09:37 AM
agree with above it would depend on why she had a c section
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 10:02 AM
we've had 4 c-sections with our girls, Daisy's first litter were born naturally, second litter she delivered one pup then had the remaining 7 c-section, her 3rd and final litter were all born c-section. Next was my Poppy, she delivered 4 pups naturally then the last 2 by section. Then more recently was my Jasmine, she whelped her first litter of 7 no problem, but her second litter again of 7 were all born by c-section.

My vet told me that once they had had a c-section they would need them again for any future litters, and unfortunately so far he's been right so far.

A friend of mine's bitch whelped 2 weeks ago, she had a c-section last time, and again this time.