Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Lacey Has Gone Back To Her Breeder

Hi Guys,

I couldn't tell you this last week, it was still so painful, then I got the job interview and thought I'd made the wrong decision. You'll see what I mean as you read this:

You may recall I had a dilemma recently (well ok, I had several dilemmas ), about whether I should return Lacey to her breeder due to financial circumstances. (For those of you that don't know she was bought for my ex to show but he never did a thing with her).

Last week I phoned the vets to book her in, she has a small cyst type thing on her side which she has started chewing. I was horrified when they told me that they would see her but was I aware that there was still over £100 outstanding on my account and that I wouldn't be able to have any treatment unless I could pay half of the bill beforehand

Lacey had a nail bed infection in September but she was knocked out for a full investigation as it wouldn't clear up with antibiotics and they wanted to check it wasn't anything more sinister. Thankfully, they changed her medication and she made a full recovery. Anyway, Gary and I said we'd pay half each toward it, I gave him my half and he paid the bill, or so I thought, he not only didn't pay the bill, he kept my money too

I spoke to the vet, who I know very well and he was very understanding. He said that of course they would operate in need, although it might just need antibiotics, and I could pay a bit off at a time, bless him. But that didn't change the fact that I still owed the outstanding amount as well as whatever this would come to.

I thought it best to talk to Laceys breeder at this point, I didn't want to pass the buck, as it were, but just needed to let off steam about ex, and ask her advice. The cyst doesn't look anything much but you just cannot leave these things, especially as she was nibbling at it and was infecting it. With setters they are very prone to fatty lumps but we always get them checked, just incase. Not having had Pointers for long I wasn't sure if they had the same problems. Her breeder said instantly, we'll take her back and get her sorted out so they came and got her. It was very upsetting for me as I feel I've let everyone down but they were so understanding, they stopped for a cuppa and we had a long chat. They won't rehome her, she will stay with them forever.

I was so sad to start with but I've had emails and she has settled straight back in, she's been with them for four years before we had her so it probably feels like she's gone home to her. That is my safety net when I think about her, that she is more than happy to be back home.

The vet has transferred the account into Garys name for me and has sent an invoice to him. At the end of the day I may well end up having to pay, it's not the vet's fault that he hasn't had the money after all.

The more I know about Gary the more I realise I never knew him
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh bless, You have been through the mill, and sending the dog back must have been very hard for you.
At least you know where she is, that she's loved and happy. You've not let anyone down especially the dog. It's nice to see a responsible breeder taking responsibility too. Wish there were more of them.
You'll see her again I'm sure, so don't beat yourself up about it. You know shes got a home for the rest of her life.
Sounds like you need some TLC
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh Sheree darling - I did wonder how things were but didn't want to 'bother you' - thought you had been quiet too.

You know dogs they settle in very well and as you said it probably is home from home for her.

You sound like you have a wonderful understanding vet too.

Chin up, boots on and go down the paddock with that mad lot of yours!

Lacey's breeder also sounds like a diamond!

Sending you big sloppy setter kisses and hugs from me.

xxxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Oh bless, You have been through the mill, and sending the dog back must have been very hard for you.
At least you know where she is, that she's loved and happy. You've not let anyone down especially the dog. It's nice to see a responsible breeder taking responsibility too. Wish there were more of them.
You'll see her again I'm sure, so don't beat yourself up about it. You know shes got a home for the rest of her life.
Sounds like you need some TLC
Thanks for your kindness, I'm fine now, I've never returned a dog before so I felt really inadequate for a while. As you say, she is loved where she is and I will get the opportunity to see her again, they want to keep in touch which is also really nice of them.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I can only imagine how hard things have been, but thank goodness for you vet and it sounds as though Lacey will do just fine.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Oh Sheree darling - I did wonder how things were but didn't want to 'bother you' - thought you had been quiet too.

You know dogs they settle in very well and as you said it probably is home from home for her.

You sound like you have a wonderful understanding vet too.

Chin up, boots on and go down the paddock with that mad lot of yours!

Lacey's breeder also sounds like a diamond!

Sending you big sloppy setter kisses and hugs from me.

xxxx

Aww thanks Rachel, I do have a great vet and Laceys breeder has been brilliant. I was worried she would be off with me but her and her hubby were so kind to me, they want to stay in touch too which is nice. I know that they felt I was doing everything I could but circumstances just took over.
As you say chin up etc, the others need me to be strong for them.
Thanks again x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh, you poor thing!

Obviously you did what was best for Lacey, even though it has left a huge hole in your heart.

Her breeders sound great, and very responsible and loving; and I'm sure they understood what a predicament you're in.

I won't comment on your ex situation, except to say - I hope he pays the vets bill out of shame and you never have to deal with him again!

(((HUGS)))
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
I can only imagine how hard things have been, but thank goodness for you vet and it sounds as though Lacey will do just fine.
Thanks Trish, everyone has been brilliant, vet, breeder, friends on dogsey. I know that once I'm back on my feet I will do anything I can to help anyone in the same position.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:53 AM
You poor thing. I don't think anyone on here will judge you for the decision you made to send Lacey back - you were obviously in a real turmoil about it a couple of weeks ago. It sounds to me as though the breeders were only too happy to have her back and they will give her a loving home. It is also great that you will be able to keep in contact with them and find out how Lacey is getting on.

Your vet sounds marvellous

And Gary - well ... I better not say what I think of him on a family forum!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Oh, you poor thing!

Obviously you did what was best for Lacey, even though it has left a huge hole in your heart.

Her breeders sound great, and very responsible and loving; and I'm sure they understood what a predicament you're in.

I won't comment on your ex situation, except to say - I hope he pays the vets bill out of shame and you never have to deal with him again!

(((HUGS)))

Thanks so much, I'm getting all emotional again now, everyone is being so kind. With regards to ex, I'm not telling him where I'm moving to so, fingers crossed we won't bump into each other again.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >