Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Walking nicely on a lead.

It's just getting me down. He's making no progress at all, and he'll only not pull if being led by treats. The second we det out of the house to go for a walk the treats are ignored completely. I tried that stopping when he pulls thing but he just screams and rolls around on the end of the lead, tossing himself onto the floor before sitting, still with the lead pulled tight. I have to call him to get him to come back to me and most of the time he just ignores it.

I don't know what to do. I have another dog who walks perfectly, and I'm not sure is she distracts him or what, my brother walks her and normally goes in front of me. I would walk them seperatly, but it's dark by 4.30 so there just isn't time. I really don't know what to do.
twogoldens
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I was told by my dog training teacher that as soon as the dog starts to pull, you should turn around and walk in the opposite direction - every time they do it. It does look a bit strange to passers-by, but I did this with my dog and it worked. Apparently they are supposed to get confused as to which way you are going, which makes them slow down. May be worth a try!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 07:16 PM
We tried that but he just runs from one end to the other and thinks it's a great game!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 07:30 PM
We've got a 'puller' and she's 2 1/2 now. It's a case of constant training, perseverence and long deep breaths but you will get there. We still have to occasionally turn around and walk the other way, sometimes many times until we get where we're going. You will get there in the end.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I advise getting a Canny Collar, everytime the dog pulls the Canny Collar pulls his head down to his chest, and obviously this is unpleasent to the dog and they walk properly to stop this happening.

I have bought one for my Jess, who pulls occasionally, it is a tad too big at the minute so I can start using it in a week or so.

It is a safe, effective method to get your dog to stop pulling, here is the site:

http://www.cannycollar.co.uk/?gclid=...FQdcgQodiQ7CFg
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 12:35 AM
One of things not helping is that the dog who is pulling is trying to get level with the one infront. If the one infront walks well and doesn't pull why don't you either walk level to one another or have the pulling dog infront for the time being while you are trying to deal with the issue.

The stop start and or change direction routine does work but it takes along time, the key is never to give your dog one single chance to pull. You have to stick with it even if it does drive you nuts!

The canny collar and dogmatic headcollar etc are good to use when you want to get from a to b and don't have time for training.
minpin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2007, 07:24 AM
I've found that my dog doesn't pull when walking in the dark.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:27 AM
I just wonder if you have been to an obedience class/school?

I took my girl at 16 weeks to a beginners class.

She learnt to heel, sit, drop and to go through a tunnel (the fun bit), and then go onto the "inspection" table.

Since then, she has learnt to stay - I walk away from her and she has to not move in either the sit or drop position for at least three minutes.

You can do it, I know, you only have to be consistant in your commands, and when your dog does the right thing, you "reward" - it may be a little bit of food, or it may just be your voice saying "good dog"!

Your dog maybe at first just sits for a few seconds - that is good and should be rewarded. Next time it may be for a few seconds more.

Just be sure that you mix up the food reward and the "good dog" rewards, just so that your dog will not always expect food.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I agree that training classes are great. I take Willow and she is doing really well, though I am having similar problems in term of pulling when out walking. It really is driving me mad

The other thing she does which is really annoying, is jumping up at people. I'm really trying to stop this as it is so annoying when we have visitors.

I'll probably invest in one of those collars, I read somewhere that dogmatic collars are good too.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I've been trying to get my Bear to walk nicely on her lead, but she just pulls no matter what. It's really frustrating.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >