Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 11:16 AM

House Move - What a Nightmare!

I wish I'd never bought a property in Spain! We have sold our villa and due to go to notary to sign over and complete by the 15th. I am up to my ears in boxes, found somewhere to rent - paid a deposit, and yesterday I changed my mind and decided that the house was to small -we have to much furniture. We were so overcome with over an acre of fenced land but in reality the house was too small. OH was very understanding if a little upset cause he really liked it.

Then today, solicitor has let us down and wants to delay for a month to sort out our tax situation, as I am now a resident and shouldn't have to pay so much tax on the sale, he's known since July that the sale was going through in January - but done nothing *SCREAM*. So it looks like he has just cost us about 10,000 euros.

OH is now trying to change solicitors at this late stage - so that will probably cost us a bit more, he is so angry. I'm still packing boxes thinking we would be moving on Saturday, what a bl---y nightmare.

Don't think I will bother buying another - too much hassle. Sat here not knowing where or when we're going now

Sorry to harp on, but I do feel a little better now
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
You have my sympathy Shaz. I've only ever bought once and swore I'd never do it again!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 01:17 PM
You have my sympathy too. I hate moving house, selling, buying and all the money the solicitors seem to end up getting for doing naff all half the time.

x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Shaza, sounds like you're having another nightmare then!

I recently sold my Mum's apartment in Mallorca and I didn't use a solicitor???? Luckily the agent spoke good English and the agents over there (probably because they charge you 5%!!)seem to know how to do everything for you anyway! From stuff that I had to investigate myself, I can tell you that the only way you can get out of paying a whopping 35% tax on your sale is 1. If you have lived in it for 3 years or more 2. If you have a Spanish Residential and 3. If you're over 65 years of age, if you qualify to all of those, then you don't pay a penny in tax! Yesterday, the tax was reduced anyway, to I think around 25%??? Don't forget also, the Notario is there to protect both parties, so if there's anything dodgy going on they will pick up on it, so he/she's on your side! Mind you, we were only selling, so it would probably be more sensible to employ a solicitor if you're buying as well, which you are, but make sure you get a good English speaking one and a reputable one, because my agent over there said there were so many corrupt solicitors over there, that sometimes you're better off going it alone!!! I have to say, mine went like a dream, but that was because of having a good estate agent in the first place, so have you had a word with them? They are so used to dealing with everything for their clients, I'm sure they could act for you if you asked them??? Hopefully, you might even be selling/purchasing with the same agent anyway? That would be even better. If you need any info you're not sure on, don't hesitate to ask me, coz it was only a month ago I went through all this, so it's all quite fresh in my mind! Good luck with it all, it's a bit of a nightmare all that packing, we had to clear her apartment out in 12 hours only!!! 20 years' worth!!! That was traumatic, that bit!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh Shaza,

You have my sympathies, what an absolutely horrid few weeks you're having.

I'm only a bit behind you with mine now sold again, they want to move quickly and I still haven't found anything suitable to accomodate not only me but the 13 most important little people on the planet, well Boston anyway.

I too have boxes everywhere, I just hope mine goes more smoothly than yours.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sheree x
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Shaza, sounds like you're having another nightmare then!
:
Yes yet another, haven't had time to get over the previous one yet

No, we are only selling, not buying, as we haven't yet found somewhere that we like enough to buy. We would have lived here 3 years come mid February, so have just missed out on the 3 year tax situation. I got my residencia 2 1/2 years ago, but as I don't work here I am not a fiscal resident so I miss out there as well.

We have just sat down, had a coffee and decided between the two places for renting, so that's now sorted - still moving on Saturday and completing on the 15th. The only thing against the place we've chosen is 21 steps to get to it - bad knees, and no pool though there is a very large community pool. The house itself is beautiful - though there are 4 bl--dy bathrooms to clean.

OH going to see our solicitor tonight, as he says he is a waste of space and done nothing, he's so mad - I'm not going - I hate confrontation. Oh well better get back to the packing.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'm only a bit behind you with mine now sold again, they want to move quickly and I still haven't found anything suitable to accomodate not only me but the 13 most important little people on the planet, well Boston anyway.

I too have boxes everywhere, I just hope mine goes more smoothly than yours.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sheree x
Yep, cant think of anything worse than moving, all I can say is good luck to you Sheree - and hope things work out better for you than me, my own fault really if I could speak Spanish and knew the Spanish system - I'm sure it would all be running smoothly.

Ozzie is getting upset with all these bl---y boxes everywhere, do they upset your dogs?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Yep, cant think of anything worse than moving, all I can say is good luck to you Sheree - and hope things work out better for you than me, my own fault really if I could speak Spanish and knew the Spanish system - I'm sure it would all be running smoothly.

Ozzie is getting upset with all these bl---y boxes everywhere, do they upset your dogs?
No, mine don't get upset, they just want to keep running off with things as I'm trying to pack them, then when people are helping us move they want them to keep stopping and making a fuss of them, last time they kept bear hugging one chap in particular, one of them would jump up and grab him then they were all there, I had to put them into one room in the end

I've arranged that they are going to all go to my friend Jills on the day I move so that I know they are all safe and I can concentrate on the actual move.

I wonder if poor Ozzie had a fright in his previous home, maybe someone popped him into a box at some time. Poor little chap, I bet he'll be glad to get settled into his new home.

The very best of luck with it all x