Our sister sites
Our sister sites
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Pale Nose - Vitimin suppliments???

Hi,
My Golden Lab ( Arch ) is getting a very pale nose. He is only 1 and a half. It started when he got the sneezes out on a walk and as he through his head down he caught his nose on the pavement scraping it. The bit that scabbed over turned pinkish but the rest of his nose stayed black. Over the course of a few months the rest of his nose has gone very pale and it is almost the same colour as my hand.
His gums are a bit ok but they are showing signs of turning as well.
Someone suggested to me that it is a vitamin difficiancy, but they couldn't remember what vitamin it was. As Arch is fed on dry and tin food I am pretty sure he should be getting all the stuff that he needs but I am not sure.
Has anyone heard of this before or has any other suggestions as to what it might be. Thanks Kate.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 05:44 PM
It is typical in some dark nosed breeds, Labs and Goldens spring to mind, for their nose colour to lighten in the winter. It should return to normal when the weather warms up. I have no idea why, but my friend has a Golden Retriever and this happens every winter.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi Kate,

It may not be that at all, my orange belton english setters all get liver coloured noses in the winter, then they return to brown in the summer. Someone once told me to try kelp to prevent it happening but I never did so I don't know if it does help.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with Arch's colouring.

Sheree
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Star's nose turns brown at the tip in the winter but it returns to its normal black in the summer. Think it is called snow nose.
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you for your replies, I wont worry too much about it just wait for spring and see if it returns to the usual black. quite ironic that its called Snow Nose!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Kate,

It may not be that at all, my orange belton english setters all get liver coloured noses in the winter, then they return to brown in the summer. Someone once told me to try kelp to prevent it happening but I never did so I don't know if it does help.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with Arch's colouring.

Sheree
Same here, my orange roan cockers have liver brown noses in the winter too!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Yep same here with 2 of my Golden Retrievers
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm glad you posted that as I was going to ask the same thing. Not only has our GR's nose turned to light brown but the black "eyeliner" round his eyes also now has a pale spot in it.

I too was wondering if it was a deficiency in his diet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Kate some breeds Labs included can get a condition called 'Snow nose' which is a loss of pigmentation during the winter months.

I am a little concerned that you mentioned pale gums, if your dog has pale gums and a pale nose I would let the vet take a look, these combined symptoms can be caused by a medical problem.
skyde
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Try Kelp Seaweed from Dorwest, it's for coat growth, pigmentation and obesity. I used to use dried nettles for my GR's but can no longer get it. this stuff seems to do the trick, although some GR's are born with pinkish brown pigmentation that stays and that is known as a butterfly nose.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >