Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:10 PM

Arthritis

For a couple of years now, Shaan has slowly developed arthritis Now the cold, damp weather is setting in, it's really bad On a morning, his left back leg is quite bad, sometimes to the point that he can't put his foot onto the floor He finds it hard to settle at night, even though he does have a soft bed to lie on

He's taking Glucosamine twice a day and it helps a bit. Is there anything else I can do to make him a little more comfortable?

I honestly think that this is my last christmas with Shaan It hurts like hell just the thought of it
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Awwww, sorry to hear his arthritis is so bad

Teagan has HD, ED, and arthritis in all 4 legs, and I have her on Syn-Flex, vitamin C, vitamin E, and Omega 3 Oils (all recommended by Christine).
Combined, they all seem to do the job, and she's not on any medication (she's too young IMO to be on medication)

Hope you can find something to make him more comfortable
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
When Storms arthritis was bad i would wrap a hot water bottle up in a blanket and it seemed to help, he also liked it. he was also on Glucosamine which helped to.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Awwww, sorry to hear his arthritis is so bad

Teagan has HD, ED, and arthritis in all 4 legs, and I have her on Syn-Flex, vitamin C, vitamin E, and Omega 3 Oils (all recommended by Christine).
Combined, they all seem to do the job, and she's not on any medication (she's too young IMO to be on medication)

Hope you can find something to make him more comfortable
Where would I find Syn-flex H?

Originally Posted by sjs679 View Post
When Storms arthritis was bad i would wrap a hot water bottle up in a blanket and it seemed to help, he also liked it. he was also on Glucosamine which helped to.
I'll give the hot water bottle a go sjs.

Shaan is only 6 He's too young for all of this
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I know what you mean, Storm was only 5 when we found out he had it, we also found out he had a mal-formed hip and it broke my heart to see him not being able to keep up with his friends like he used to.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh Corrie, that's such a shame, poor Shaan. Other than what everyone else has said, have you asked the vet if there are any drugs that might help? Six is very young .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Metacam helps Roxy enormously with hers. You do need to have regular blood tests done though. Nothing natural worked, which instigated me going down the "chemical" route.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm trying to keep off the chemical route at the moment. I know I'm going to have to go down it at some point, but I'd rather try other alternatives first.

As Shaan came to me as a private re-home, I have no idea what is in his lineage At the moment, thing aren't looking very promising There's been a few times over the last few days, when I've had to take his food to him to eat on his bed
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh the poor lad. I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what you feed him on but have you tried a wheat and dairy-free diet? This is sometimes implicated in human arthritis ?.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:56 PM
I am very sorry to hear Shaan is suffering so much.

I have arthritis myself so know what the little darling will be going through and how much he suffers.

I was going to give the exact same advice as Lucky Star.

The diet is a miricle, I have it myself absolutely NO Wheat, Gluten or Nightshades (potatoes, Tomatoes, Peppers)

It is a hard diet to have, but trust me it works wonders to ease my symptoms and pain.

It dosent cure it completely, nothing will but it helps.

This will probably be hard to instigate in a dog, so does Shaan have a BARF diet?

As im sure processed food will have these in.

All my love and best wishes to Shaan.

kye xxx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »