Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Deccy 2, Electricity Supply Company 0!

The on-going saga of my self build house continues.
I have had a painful and prolonged row with the ESB over the very minor point (ha ha) of getting them to hook my house up to the mains, which they took payment for last June . It was supposed to be connected at the end of September.
After some acrimonious telephone calls, extreme arrogance on their part (IMO) it seemed that Easter was a more likely date!! So I got in touch with my local TD (Irish version of an MP) who rang me the next day wanting more details.....
That was last week. Today, I rang the builder about something else and he said, the pole's arrived and is now up!!!!! Just need to finish the walls of the house and connect everything to the box and we will have light!
But the real sting in the tail for ESB - who have been forced to treat me decently - is that my builder arranged for them to erect the pole on my land - so now they will have to pay me rent!!!!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Aw Deccy I am so happy that things seem to be finally moving along for you. Good on you for getting one up on the ESB. Honestly the service in this country is a joke!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmmmm.... I have heard so many similar stories, and because they are a monopoly, they can do what they like! When I objected to moving into a house mid winter with no electricity - so I wouldn't even be able to use the loo - they said, well just go and buy a generator! Talk about "let them eat cake...."!
If I could afford a generator big enough to run the house, I would do so and tell them where to put their pole!

Anyway, I thought that getting them to put the pole on my land was a stroke of genius as I will get paid for it - but the builder said he hadn't heard of that one, it just seemed a good place to put it!
I'll be off down there tomorrow, camera in hand.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:49 PM
A sweet little victory, Gill, you must be chuffed
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Yes very sweet, it's surprising how a very simple victory can cheer you up!!
Now for the telecom company .... the pole is already there but they want my builder to dig a trench from the pole to the house and run a rope through it no don't even ask..

PS love your Rudolph!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't ask? You have to be joking, Gill
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Ok, I give in!
To get anything done by utilities companies, you need to make their job as easy as possible. This was explained to me by my landlord's son James who built a house a year ago and went through similar processes. He applied for a telephone line and got a call from them, eventually. The conversation went something like this:
"Is there a pole near the house?"
"Yes, there's one in the lane right outside but it's over at a bit of an angle"
"Wadya mean, a bit of an angle?"
"Sure it's well over and leaning on the hedge. Can you stick another pole in?"
"ooooooh, can't do that. (Pause) Do you have a tractor?"
"I have a tractor, yes"
"Well - you bring your tractor down tomorrow and I'll meet you with a bit of rope"

The next day dawned and the Eircom van arrived. James drove the tractor down to the pole which was at about 45 degrees and looked rotten to the core. The Eircom engineer looped the rope around, hooked it to the tractor, and told James to pull away. As the pole returned to the vertical, the engineer busied himself by stuffing rocks and stones behind it to keep it there. "Job done" he said in satisfaction. "Now can you dig a trench and lay a pipe between the pole and your house, and run a rope through it? When you've done that, I'll bring the cabling and pull it through and get you connected."

And so, I need a trench, to lay a pipe, to carry a rope, to pull the wiring through, so all they have to do is a bit of threading and connecting between the pole which is mercifully upright as I am the only household in the area with no tractor, and the plastic box on the side of the house.

No wonder I can't get broadband!!!!

Aren't you sorry you asked??????
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Update on the ESB pole......
It's up alright. It's also 6 feet from Polly's grave and they have lopped an ancient silver birch that was beside it Never mind, it gives me an excuse to plant a new one for her.
If you look closely at the pic, between the pole and the red pipe there is a wooden peg about a foot high. That marks the grave. I will turn it into a little garden in the Spring, I already have a brass plaque mounted on a hardwood base to put on there when everything is finished.