Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Never a dull day!

Working with children means there is never a dull moment, always something going on!

I couldn't write about this yesterday as I was pretty upset by it. In school swearing is not allowed - I am sure this is agreed by all. We have the odd mild word which is met with someting like "please don't say that again", "that is not appropriate language to use" etc etc. Sometimes, very occassionally we get the odd 'f' word - that is dealt with by the head.

I should point out, in case some don't know, I work in a Lower School so aged up to 9 years old.

Yesterday, a pupil came up to me and said another pupil had "said the worst word in the world." Now, a childs perception of that could be absolutely anything, so I need to find out. I asked the first letter. C.

Surely not! Still needed to find out as it still could be anything. I asked for the last letter. T.

I thanked this child for their maturity in how they told me, and went and spoke to the other who had said it. I asked what was said, but I didn't want the word said it would be better to spell it. Sure enough, it was the word I can't bring myself to say. I asked why it was said, where it had been heard, did they know what it meant etc. No, was the answer it all.

I passed this on to the class teacher and the head, I was actually shaking, and my heart was pounding.

The parent was spoken to, and the matter has now been closed.

Today, a much better day! We had the first rehearsel of the Christmas play, as the saying goes. . . . . . . . .

It will be alright in the night!

We hope!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Hmmm "Cat"? Obviously a dog lover then.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Go on...what was the word????? Give us a clue!
We had a reception child one year, go up for hot dinners with a tray...the dinner lady said 'aww are you hungry?' to this little dot...who replied 'I'm f*****' starvin'!!!!!'
Kids huh?!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I know I shouldn't but your post made me laugh Ramble - I can just imagine the dinner ladies face. The thing is that when they reach senior school - swearing is the norm. There is so much bad language and sex on the telly these days that was never on when I was growing up.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I thought you might guess the word! Starts with a c, ends in a t, has two letters inbetween. I think it really is the wost word in the world. The child is only 8 years old, I dread to think where the word has been heard.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:40 PM
aha. It is a truly awful word.
That's the thing, you wonder what these kids have seen and heard regularly sometimes.
I did laugh about the child with the dinner lady though...the child was genuinely hungry!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I am what you would call a dinner lady, that comment made me laugh too!!
To give the correct title, I am a Lunchtime Supervisor, the Senior one. That is the 'hat' I was wearing at the time this word was used, my other 'hat' is my Teaching Assistant one.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Horrid Trish. Makes you wonder where the child picked it up.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey I guessed it!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I was shocked when my son was in nursery when this 4 year old in the school yard shouted to me that he wanted to 'S**g me - I was really shocked but then knowing what sort of family he came from I shouldn't have been surprised really, they are the family from hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >