Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Dogs Can Boost Children's Immunity ...

Apologies if this has been done - I did develop asthma but it isn't affected by dogs:

"Dogs Drool
Dogs drool, scratch, lick, and shed hair. That's the good part - as far as building immunity to allergies is concerned. Proximity to dog dander and saliva helps strengthen young children's immune system. A study, reported in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, found that children raised in households with dogs had higher levels of substances that protect the body from allergic reactions."

http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/...nt.asp?ID=1523

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2045704.stm
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Living in a clinical clean environment weakens children. They should be dirty, with scratches and bruises now and then and thier monther should e having fits every time the kids return from playing outside...
Nowadays they have thier PS2 and tele and usenapkins at the table.

Greetings

Johan
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
That's quite interesting really LS. We have only ever been without a dog in our house for 3 months whilst we were looking for another puppy - we have always had dogs and me and my two sisters were always quite healthy and on the whole I would say my kids are too so perhaps its true
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
yep - good to know that bruno can lick Luca to his hearts content then and I will never have to have a sick child !! LOL

but seriously it confirms what i have always said - we are too clean obsessed now - I remember my older brother out inthe garden "sucking" on worms cos he thought it was spaghetti !! never did him any harm !! LOL although it does make a good story !!

and if kids can absorb it through the womb then my Luca must be doing alright as my house is filthy with builders in at moment !!

also - I am allergic to dogs have been all my life - but since getting bruno I havent taken an antihistimane >???
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
yep - good to know that bruno can lick Luca to his hearts content then and I will never have to have a sick child !! LOL

but seriously it confirms what i have always said - we are too clean obsessed now - I remember my older brother out inthe garden "sucking" on worms cos he thought it was spaghetti !! never did him any harm !! LOL although it does make a good story !!

and if kids can absorb it through the womb then my Luca must be doing alright as my house is filthy with builders in at moment !!

also - I am allergic to dogs have been all my life - but since getting bruno I havent taken an antihistimane >???

Oh god that just reminded me - I used to go in the garden and eat worms :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 - I also used to go and sit in the long grass and eat raw sausages
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
It's hard to stop them when you want to avoid jealousy (I do try ) - so Carys gets slobbery kisses whenever Loki finds an opportunity
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
That's really interesting to know Linda My lot are always giving my kids slobbery kisses, but, the moto here is 'a dirty child, is a happy child'
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
We grew up crawling aroung after dogs, letting them kiss our faces and eating their food for dares. We all ended up with awards for good attendance at school, and stomachs like tin cans
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 11:11 AM
sorry for seeming rude, but isn't this just common sense!? Why do studies have to proove everything. Like kids that ate mud and coal and climbed trees are going to be healthier than kids that were kept in a sterilised room! If you are exposed to bugs from an early age you build immunity.
Puppies should be vaccinated later, but because the vets want them out, they get done early at 8 weeks.

I recommend waiting with the vacc. until the pup is 12 weeks and get it outside in the dirt and mud before this!!!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes, I agree totally, we were brought up with dogs, have always had dogs since we moved into our own house, so the dogs and kids have grown up together, they are very rarely ill. Whereas my sister, who hates dogs or pets of any sort and has never had any, her girls pick up every bug going, same with my SIL, she's a nurse and I swear she sterilises her house every day and her kids are ALWAYS ill.

I've always said having dogs and a bit of slobber is healthy for you....lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >