Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Computer update.

Well we decided to take the computer into our local computer shop in the village and my o/h took it in about 2.45 and at 4.15 they rang and said it was ready It was the CPU and they have changed it now - so thats good service isn't it
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Nice one... that is good service... and from your other post it sounded a lot worse damage too... great stuff
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Nice one... that is good service... and from your other post it sounded a lot worse damage too... great stuff
Yes he said that a spike (whatever one of them was) sometimes gets to the motherboard when the CPU goes but thankfully in this case it hadn't. He charged £50 which I don't suppose is bad because I think the CPU's are getting on for £40 from what we saw in PC World. Only problem now is that he said the speakers might need replacing because the new CPUs are a bit different
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Not so bad... speakers are not all that expensive if ya do need em
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Not so bad... speakers are not all that expensive if ya do need em
I don't really understand why it would affect the speakers though really because the computer is only 9 months old so the speakers shouldn't be that old should they But then again I haven't a clue where the speakers plug in
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Na I reckon it'll be ok..... but like I said, if not they not too expensive anyway
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Foxy, a spike is like a surge in the current travelling to the system, like a power surge. That's what knackered ours recently as well except ours was completely cream crackered. You can't beat a decent local computer shop though, even working in IT we take ours to the shop because at least it's under warranty and our lads can never agree on what's wrong in the first place. Different engineer with different skills will give you a different answer
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Foxy, a spike is like a surge in the current travelling to the system, like a power surge. That's what knackered ours recently as well except ours was completely cream crackered. You can't beat a decent local computer shop though, even working in IT we take ours to the shop because at least it's under warranty and our lads can never agree on what's wrong in the first place. Different engineer with different skills will give you a different answer
Oh right thanks Wuffle for explaining We haven't tried it yet but at least we know they will put it right if its not working. I was dreading PC world getting their hands on it to be honest because I have heard of people having so many problems when their computers go into their 'health clinics'
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Oh right thanks Wuffle for explaining We haven't tried it yet but at least we know they will put it right if its not working. I was dreading PC world getting their hands on it to be honest because I have heard of people having so many problems when their computers go into their 'health clinics'
Your welcome, you did the right thing...PC World.....baaaaadddddd!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Your welcome, you did the right thing...PC World.....baaaaadddddd!
Well it was still technically under their guarantee but o/h took the side off last night to look whether it was the cpu that was burnt out and Ian on here said that there might have been a label on which rips so that Pc World would know we had had the cover off and that invalidates the guarantee then - I didn't realise last night that we had only had it since January this year Anyway no doubt they would have probably kept it weeks or cocked it up or something
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >