Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Additional PC Advise - Please

Looking into getting an additional pc, with the autumn looming, daughter and oh may like to get on the net!! ( I usually hog this one )

Not sure if I should get another desk top or a laptop.

We are very limited when it comes to pc knowledge, and would appreciate some advise.

Currently on Broadband with NTL on this pc.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2006, 04:31 AM
I suppose it all depends on what your space requirements are.
Do you want to go wirelress?

If you do then the laptop would be your best choice for buying equipment already fitted to he laptop if going for wireless laptop then you want to be looking for Centrino for pentuim processors or turino for AMD processors both will connect wirelessly to the internet with a compatable modem/ router.

If you wanted to go wireless with the pc then you'll proberly have to buy a USB Dongle or a PCI card arial for transmitting the wireless signal to the router/ modem.

If you need any more information just ask away
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks Leo, I have sent you a pm
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I personally would prefer a desktop to a laptop (I am on a laptop now) I suppose though a laptop can be moved around the house a hell of a lot easier. My daughter always wanted a laptop but she now says she prefers her desktop to the laptop. I like laptops for occasional use but prefer the desktop for more heavy use.

Good luck in whatever you decide to get
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't go with the laptop unless needed because Desktops are a fair bit cheaper for the same system
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I prefer laptops-they dont take up as much space and do everything a desktop does! I've used lappys for several years now and prefer their shallow type keys,but i cant type properly on a conventional desktop keyboard which appear chunky to me now.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Thinking about laptops, that will probably disappear to my daughter's bedroom like the phone !!!!

Will go take a look at what is available today... pc world ?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I love my laptop for portability and takes up very little space. I take it on holiday to download/edit digipics. Am thinking of getting another laptop next year with a bigger hard-drive and built in wireless.I also use a desktop at work but if I had to make a choice def. prefer the laptop- though as mentioned they are more expensive...Ive bought tons of stuff from PC World and find them very helpful and they have a huge range of computers in thir stores to compare They also have website offers which u can reserve and collect at store- I got massive reductions on my Canon printer and scanners
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Thinking about laptops, that will probably disappear to my daughter's bedroom like the phone !!!!

Will go take a look at what is available today... pc world ?
I know a lot of people don't like PC World but at least you know what you are getting there - my sister got conned big-time by going to a small local shop - she hadn't a clue what was on her pc - it turned out it didn't have a modem in either which she wasn't told about - also turned out they had put the illegal windows on it - so she took it back and (they weren't happy though) got most of her money back and went to PC World and bought one from them. We have had all our computers from PC World and so far (touch wood) for the use that they get - they have all been brilliant At least you can get to look at the different models on display and they tell you underneath whether they have modems and what Ghz they are etc.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Totally agree about PC World I made the mistake of buying my laptop from Dell's website- long story but what a nightmare Never again- my next computer will come from PC World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >