Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2006, 12:40 PM

How Do You Stop White Fur Going Yellow

HI

my border collie's white fur keeps getting a yellow tinge, even if I bath him. Can anyone explain why this happens?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 12:57 PM
depends where the staining is.

saliva staining can be a result of feeding and the ph of the saliva (sometimes a change of diet can make a big difference)

I was talkign to a samoyed owner/groomer the other day, and she told me of something they use routinely on sammy coats which seems to help - I am blowed if I can remember what she said it was - someone here might know (you can get it at shows). I will email a friend who was with me at the time - her memory is better than mine!

You can make up a weak boric acid solution to clean the affected area - powdered Boric acid is obtainable from old fashioned chemists.

hth a bit.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 01:12 PM
We used to use something on the horse's coats and legs to get rid of this but I can't remember what it was called - sorry! Maybe visit a horsey site and see what there is there? It's very safe too.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
We used to use something on the horse's coats and legs to get rid of this but I can't remember what it was called - sorry! Maybe visit a horsey site and see what there is there? It's very safe too.
was it cowboy magic ?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I use cowboy magic (detangler) on my fields' - if they are working one day and showing the next, it stops the burrs and things sticking....brilliant stuff.

They do have a product for 'white' too - but again my memory isnt what it was!
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 04:36 AM
i use "white on white" shampoo but not all the time, it is purple/blue in the tube so dont be alarmed, also use bicarb of soda concentrated on beards,
if its the face making sure a fresh supply of water is always on hand it helps clean their beards
huggles
b-eye
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
You can get a special soap block called Canine Whitewash,others may be available from places like Petcetera or one of the other on-line pet stores. Logoes.
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2006, 06:00 PM
does your collie lay on straw at all?, thats notorious for staining white fur. Two pups I bought had pretty bad straw staining when they came here. My one white husky always seems to be immaculatly white no matter how filthy she gets working the day before. Self-cleaning dog I think
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 09:13 AM
I recall using chalk powder a long time ago to keep a horses feathers white for shows. But I don't know how safe this would be around dogs.
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Louis white fur on the underneath is turning a deliate shade of pink!

I wonder what causes that?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >