View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 09:23 AM

HA! To the banks... (Get those bank charges back!)

Morning all,

I had a quick read through the forums and didn't notice any threads on ridiculous bank charges so I hope this isn't a duplicate. Anyway! I've just had some great news from my bank and I wanted to share it with you as I'm sure there are people on here that would find it very useful.

Going back to an account I had with one of the banks until last year. I had this current account for 10 years. I began to accrue charges on my account due to a few missed direct debit payments, account then going overdrawn, the usual. I was being charged £25 - £50 every time this happened. At the end of last year I decided to close the account.

Fastforward to Thursday of last week. I had a conversation with my Mum as we'd both heard that people were now claiming back charges that their banks had demanded in the past. I read an article on the Internet http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...19/cmoft19.xml (hope this works), which basically states that consumers are entitled to claim back unfair charges. I immediately called the Financial Ombudsman Service and told them what had happened with my account. By the next day I'd received a letter from them, confirming that they would be in touch with the bank in question. I received a letter from the bank this week saying they'd received my complaint, blah blah and were looking into it. I couldn't believe the speed at which my complaint was being dealt with.

Lo and behold, this morning I receive a call from the bank, informing me that a cheque was on its way to me now, refunding all the charges that I'd ever paid on that account! I'm delighted! I can't believe how simple it was to get the money back. I'm spreading the word because the banks have gotten away with charging us ridiculous amounts of money for too long.

Tee
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Thats great news well done I have read about this and am hoping to do the same, the money will certainly come in handy, I dint know you could get people to sort it all on your behalf, did you have to pay much for them to do this?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Well done you, bout time they had to pay people back for extortionate charges.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Thats great news well done I have read about this and am hoping to do the same, the money will certainly come in handy, I dint know you could get people to sort it all on your behalf, did you have to pay much for them to do this?
Not a penny. It was a quick call to the FOS, they contacted my previous bank on my behalf and that's all. I still can't believe it. I'm happy because it couldn't have come at a better time but also, banks have been making big profits at our expense for a long time and it's nice to know that we're being heard.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tee
Not a penny. It was a quick call to the FOS, they contacted my previous bank on my behalf and that's all. I still can't believe it. I'm happy because it couldn't have come at a better time but also, banks have been making big profits at our expense for a long time and it's nice to know that we're being heard.
Could you pm me contact details for FOS, did you just tell them you had been charged loads and they did the rest?
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I've messaged you. Yes, that's all i had to do.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Always good to hear the banks having to cough out cash! I hate them condescending and money-grabbing fools.

I remember years ago, my partner's Dad getting really cheesed off at his bank for charging him an obscene amount for writing to him to tell him what he already knew - that he had overdrawn.

He walked into the bank, I went with him, he got to the desk and handed the cashier a book of stamps, along with his name and account number, before telling her: "Here, use these as the ones you're buying are obviously far more expensive than the ones I buy."
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Thank you for sharing because I had a bank account with a main highstreet bank five years ago who charged me 5 lots of £28 for the same direct debit bouncing once, after I asked them to put a hold on it until my payday and they refused. I was so annoyed I closed the account and they some how found more charges to sting me with, I ended up with only £470 of my nearly £700 wage that month, I am certainly gonna get on the case for that!
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
wicked news - I didn't know this (been living in a bubble obviously). I'm going to contact my bank and my ex-credit card company and pass this on to everyone I know who has been a victim of the banks!
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
hi one of my work mates was telling me about this yesturday she has been on the martin lewis website,he tells you how to claim them back and you can print of a letter to send to your bank telling them that you want your charges back!! i am going on it to challenge my bank+ credit card supplier!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >