Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:36 PM

Vet consultation fees!

After being dogless for a few years now I am amused at how things change and some not for the better either!

Does every vet now charge a consultation fee for every single visit?? Maybe my last dog cost me so much money that the vet waived the fee at every visit....I think I must have paid his mortagage and got him several new cars!

My newest vet charges about £35 per consultation!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Minnie yes most vets charge a consultation fee for a visit, you are after all taking up their time Solicitors charge a whole lot more for a consultation

The consultation fee seems to vary from vet to vet , those that charge less seem to charge a bit more for the drugs so I guess it is swings and roundabouts.

Country practises that are not just 'small animal' vets and also see farm animals seem to charge less.

I make sure I know what I want to ask the vet before I arrive there so that I get my moneys worth
pamngeoff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I took jess to the vets today well tues for a check up vets fee was £14 80 and the chip as she didnt have one was £10 40 so that wasnt bad ,i thought it would be more expensive
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
My newest vet didn't charge to do a quick check up of both Cheetah and Rocky when they registered with her - although Cheetah was going in to be spayed.

My parents used to go to this vet when I was a child - she used to do a lot of work with wild animals, fixing them up and letting them go (ie working for no money). She's definately an animal loving type vet As opposed to some of the ones who seem to care mostly for making as much money as possible.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:47 AM
I think it helps if you get a good vet and you get to know them well. Then you get away with more There are good vets out there that aren't just after your money!

With Brandie they would remind us to get something else done so we didn't have to come back and pay again. So they weren't just after money
I don't think they charged us a consultation fee when we kept going in for her blood tests either, even though we often had chats and checks with the vet aswell

I do think it is fair to pay a consultation fee, but it is really expensive if you only end up being there 10 minutes
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
sometimes i get charged and sometimes i don't i put a lot of business my vets way as i can't fault them.they treat my pets the way i treat them and are very supportive when we are going through a difficult patch i ocassionally take 2 dogs down on one appointment (if one just wants a quick checkover) and if they charge me they charge me one fee the thing i like about my vet is they have a massive sign saying all bills must be settled at the time of treatment,it is waived for me,i pay when i can i think if you can find a vet who is in it for the animals health and welfare and not money you hang onto them for dear life
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Our vet charges £10.16 for consultation which I think is quite reasonable and the drugs don't usually cost a lot either and he always gives us a proper printed out invoice so we can see how much thinks cost which I like because the vet we used to go to for 20 years never did an invoice and used to just make prices up as he went along I think When we had to take the guinea pigs for injections for hay mite he reduced the consultation fee on subsequent visits.

I think £35 for a consultation is absolutely disgusting - it's daylight robbery
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I am very fortunate in having a really good vet who does not charge a consultation fee. I have to travel a little bit further to get to his practice but I have faith in him and feel it is worth it. If I went to any of the two nearer ones they both charge consultation fees not sure how much mind you.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I was just wondering, can you claim back consultation fees on pet insurance or does it not cover that?
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Our vet charges £10.16 for consultation

Wow, that's good Our vet charged about £26 I think
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >