View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Agressive towards the puppy (elderly dog, not in best of health, grumpy with pup)

Hi everyone,

My eldest dalmatian tara is 10 years old, we've recently had countless trips back and forth to the vets about her, and they're seeing her tommorrow to possibly perform a scan/x ray for cancer. However, the other night she was breathing funny, really shallow short breaths, but not panting, so I called the vet and he said not to worry. The following day she was fine, running around etc, but when it came to bed time she jumped up onto our bed again (she had slept up there for two nights, as I was worried about her health/breathing) and as she had been fine, my other half chucked her off the bed. I lay down next to her cushion to say goodnight when she started doing the funny breathing thing again, I quickly realised that she was being a hypochondriac so I got into bed, and that was the end of it, the breathing quickly turned into snores.

However, we got a new puppy just over a week ago (all arranged before I knew Tara wasn't 100%), and she is lovely, very good at being submissive, which is good as Tara is very dominant. I thought that it would take a day or so for her to get used to Blue (the pup, who is also a dalmatian) but she is still grumbling, growling, barking, etc whenever the pup goes near her. Its really upsetting me, especially as for the third time, she went to bite the pup today. I was so shocked, as when she met my other half's cats (an animal she had spent nearly ten years chasing and trying to eat!) it literally took her a day or two to get used to!

Is there anything I can do, I'm already respecting the hiarachy they've laid out for themselves....is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks.

Lorna.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
It is quite normal for an adult dog to put a pup in its place if it gets too cheeky and pushy. The adult, if provoked, may even air snap at the pup, but very rarely would it get as far as a bite that might do the pup an injury. It would just be instilling respect and teaching good canine manners.

Your old girl may be on a shorter fuse than normal if she is not feeling 100% well and her age and her physical condition need to be considered.

Does she have a place to go to where she can get peace and quiet and not be bothered by the pup if she gets too much for her? Try to ensure that she can go somewhere that the pup can't get at her. If the pup is in a playful mood and Tara doesn't want to know try to distract the pup to play with you.

I do hope that Tara's condition is not serious and that she feels better soon.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Thank you Shadowboxer, I really appreciate your reply!

Tara can get away from the pup if she wants to, she tends to go upstairs and get on my bed or on the sofa in the living room, as the puppy cannot reach either place!

Tara has been to the vets again today, she's having an ultrasound on Tuesday to see whats going on....my poor girlie!

Thank you again,

Lorna.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I think it is just a case of you keeping a close eye and ensuring that the pup does not bother her too much when she is not in the mood.

Good wishes to you and Tara. Please do keep us up to date with how she is getting on, and never hesitate to post if you have worries and concerns about anything at all.