View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 10:39 AM

Can a bitch come into season whilst still lactating??

Hi,

I have asked the question before of when a bitch will come into season after whelping and was told it would be 2-3 months after weaning the puppies.

However my dog is paying Daisy a LOT of attention right now and her pups are only six weeks old and still sucking.

We've had to separate them as whenever they are together he will constantly sniff her and try and mount her. Is it possible that she is coming into season now? There is no mess so could it just be hormones released through whelping that are driving my dog crazy?

Am a little concerned so am hoping someone could give me some advice as to what is going on. I am planning on getting daisy spayed as soon as possible after the puppies are grown as we definately do not want any accidents.

I hope you can help

Thanks

GW
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Is your bitch well in herself? Not drinking excessively? No discharge?
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
She seem's absolutely normal. No discharge that I can see.. normal appetite and lively play with both puppies and our other dogs. She is going to have a check-up in a couple of weeks, do you think wehould take her in sooner?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Sometimes it can just be the hormones after giving birth, confusing your poor boy. One of my girls had a discharge right up to her next season after whelping, I was concerned but my vet said it was perfectly normal.

If you have any worries best bet is to pop her along to your vet for a quick check up, maybe she has a slight infection which a course of AB's would clear up.
murtle
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I've had exactly the same problem with my bitch after having had a litter.
My 2 males started going mad for her once her pups were 8 weeks old,& lasted for a couple of months

Definitely hormonal!!!
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Guys,
That does put my mind at ease a little..

If I see a discharge or there is a change in her behaviour then I will get her to the vets sooner.

GW