View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 01:01 PM

Constabtly wiping sleep like gunk off loki's eyes should I be worried?

I am taking Loki to the vets tonight so will mention his eyes then, but wondered if anyone could give me any ideas what this gunk could be. The last few days (since I booked his vets appointment on monday) I have noticed Loki quite often has a thick sleep like gunk from the corner of one or both of his eyes, I wiped it away this morning when I went to see him at break time when I went down just now for my lunch it was there again, his eyes themself look clear its just this thick gunk in the corners which has obviously come out of his eyes any ideas?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
I am taking Loki to the vets tonight so will mention his eyes then, but wondered if anyone could give me any ideas what this gunk could be. The last few days (since I booked his vets appointment on monday) I have noticed Loki quite often has a thick sleep like gunk from the corner of one or both of his eyes, I wiped it away this morning when I went to see him at break time when I went down just now for my lunch it was there again, his eyes themself look clear its just this thick gunk in the corners which has obviously come out of his eyes any ideas?

just to say hannah - bruno always has what i refer to as eye snot - mostly when he wakes up - but sometimes throughout the day too - his eyes are clear and not iriitated and he has always had it - however its worse at this time of year - i assumed it was probably a doggy version of hayfever eyes !!!

worth mentioning to the vet anyway
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2006, 01:25 PM
hi Hannah a discharge is not so common in young dogs and could be a bit of infection (discharge yellow/green turning black late ) or it can be allergy related.

As with humans if there is an irritant , like pollen say the body produces more discharge in the mucous membranes to wash it away (think colds/runny eyes and nose) so I would get it checked by the vet.

If it is nothing at all you could wipe the eyes each morning using cotton wool dipped in a mild saline solution which is similar to tears (a pint of boiled water to a teaspoon of salt) .
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks Brundog thats reasurring, will mention to the vet to be on the safe side as you say but do tend to notice it mainly first thing in the morning (when he's just woken up) and when I go and see him on my breaks through out the day (generally hes a sleep when I first go in) so probably just sleep like we get?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
hi Hannah a discharge is not so common in young dogs and could be a bit of infection (discharge yellow/green turning black late ) or it can be allergy related.

As with humans if there is an irritant , like pollen say the body produces more discharge in the mucous membranes to wash it away (think colds/runny eyes and nose) so I would get it checked by the vet.

If it is nothing at all you could wipe the eyes each morning using cotton wool dipped in a mild saline solution which is similar to tears (a pint of boiled water to a teaspoon of salt) .
Thanks Mini it is definatly not a nasty colour i.e. yellow/green just looks white, probably clear but looks white lumped together, it is quite thich which worried me slightly am defenately going to mention it at vets and have changed vets now so going to talk to them about his itching anyway so could be related possibly he has been scratching quite alot this week.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi hannah, I thought something was up with Roxy but Vets said colour was normal so no probs. She gets loads in the morning, yuk
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
just to say hannah - bruno always has what i refer to as eye snot - mostly when he wakes up - but sometimes throughout the day too - his eyes are clear and not iriitated and he has always had it - however its worse at this time of year - i assumed it was probably a doggy version of hayfever eyes !!!

worth mentioning to the vet anyway
:smt078

But I agree!

Some dogs are just gunkier than others!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Took Loki to the vets last night, he obviously remembered his last trip to the vets and having his anal glands emptied, even though it was a different vets he was very unsettled and kept backing up on me obviously trying to keep his rear end as far away from the vet as possible but as it was his eyes she wanted to see this wasnt a problem, she said they looked slightly red so to be on the safe side she gave us some drops as his eyes havent been as gunky as this before. I put the drops in last night but only managed one eye before he realised what I was up to and wouldnt cooperate any more but did his gunky eye first so at least I got the right one although he is ment to have it in both, will try again later!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Hannah

Archie had bad conjunctivitis last summer, I guess it's to do with allergies in the park, and also because my mum used to let him have his head stuck out the car window all the time... apparently all that strong wind really irritates their eyes, cos since I stopped letting my mum do this, Archie's conjunctivitis went away

Anyway, here's a tip for putting eyedrops it: Get Loki to sit, kneel behind him, raise his chin and you can put the drops in really easy. try not to fiddle about too much as he'll get fidgety and annoyed

Also always, always praise and give a biscuit after If you can enlist someone's help, get them to give Loki the biscuit WHILE you're putting the drops in