View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:23 AM

Ed's legs. Could pain killers minimise aggression?

I've noticed that the days when Ed's grumpy and seems to snap at other dogs, are the days when he wants to take himself home from walks and when he seems a bit stiffer in his back legs.

I'm going to take him to the vets for a full check up anyway as we haven't been with him yet but could this be something like arthritis or simple joint pain and could pain killers help with his aggression towards other dogs?

He's by no means a nasty dog but if he's feeling that way out he'll snap at other dogs when he sees them and obviously this is worrying in case one snaps back and he gets into a fight!

Thanks
Lottie
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I was talking to a lady yesterday who has a 13 year old GSD cross and she said she is getting very arthritic and stiff now and she phoned her vets and they told her to bring her in for a check up and they are now giving the dog some injections that cost £9 each but are long acting and I think she says that it has one monthly at first but then might be every 3 months or something. Appartently this injection is new She said it had really made a difference to her dog.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Lottie - putting him on some joint supplements could help too.
I don't want Teagan on pain killers yer (HD and arthritis), so I use supplements to keep her joints supple.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:30 AM
oooh thanks for that Foxy, I'll ask when we go to the vet.

He deserves so much more because he's such a special boy and I can tell that today he doesn't feel very well bless him.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:32 AM
oh yeah thanks Hevvur! that reminds me I was going to go and get some cod liver oil!

Is there anything else I could use? I was going to get some glucosamine (I think...) and cod liver oil from the supermarket to put on his food.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I wonder if those omega 3 fish oil capsules would help him a bit cos I take them and I have noticed my joints seem a lot better after a couple of months of taking them. They are only about £1.49 from Tesco for 30 tablets so they aren't expensive and fish oil is good for dogs I think as well as people.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Lottie - Synflex is brilliant, a little expensive, but worth it!
I also use Omega 3 oil capsules.

Synflex - http://synflexforpets.co.uk/

If you do a search, I did a thread about what supplements to use for clicky bones/arthritis etc, and Christine gave me a very good combination - which I use daily (Syn-flex, Omega 3 oils, Vit C, Vit E)
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Lottie

Remember it's better to use fish body oils not liver oils.

fish4dogs do a good salmon oil (and some lovely biscuits)!

Our vet recommended glucosamine for Ziggy's dodgy hip
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Devils Claw is a natural anti inflammatory which could help.

http://www.toppetshop.co.uk/acatalog...ndalls_37.html

I would definietly try syn flex though, it seems to be the best thing out there for arthritis. Did wonders for Woody!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I feel (and I am) very grumpy when I hurt so I would think that pain killers or anti-inflammatory drugs will help a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >