Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 01:47 PM

Crosby beach, Liverpool

Yep, a beach in Liverpool. You can even see the Anglican cathedral and St John's tower (circle) and the towers of the Liver building (arrows) in the background:

OK, so it's not exactly the Seychelles, but we've got culture in the form of these Anthony Gormley (Angel of the North artist) statues:

There are 100 of these things strung out along the beach, all looking out to sea. They look particularly weird around sunrise, but I'm not often up that early!

At high spring tides, the whole lot of them are submerged (we have 10 m tides on average here, so no swimming allowed!!!)

Oh look, there goes one of the big hydrofoils. We get some big old boats going past here!

What dreary weather! But even so, the air is fresh and salty, the sand is soft between one's toes, and there is a hell of a lot of space for playing frisbee with your dog

Check this out: 360 degree view from the coastguard station (I have waaaay too much time on my hands )

Or the sensible-sized version:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...g/1707bcbc.jpg

How to get here:

By public transport: Crosby beach is well served by three local train stations; Hall Road, Blundellsands & Crosby, and Waterloo. Trains run approximately every 15 minutes on the MerseyTravel Northern Line. Connections to national rail services and other regional services can be made at Liverpool Lime Street, Southport and Hunts Cross.

From Hall Road Station: With the train station on your right hand side walk down Hall Road West until is bends 90o to the left, on the bend there is an access road that goes to the beach, past the Coastguard Station.
From Blundellsand Station: On the opposite side of the railway tracks to the ticket office ,the Southport train side, walk down Blundellsands Road West to the end, a short footpath leads to the beach. Approximately 5/10 minutes.
From Waterloo Station: Walk down South Road with the station on your left hand side. At the end of South Road, cross over the road and walk down the paved footpath between the two parks and follow the footpath which runs between the two lakes to the beach.

For further information, including bus time tables, and a travel planner visit Merseytravel at www.merseytravel.gov.uk/. Enter 'South Road, Waterloo, Liverpool' as the destination if you are using the travel planner. Crosby Beach is a 10/15 minute walk, walk down South Road with the Waterloo Train Station on your left hand side. At the end of South Road, cross over the road and walk down the paved footpath between the two parks and follow the footpath which runs between the two lakes to the beach.

By car: The easiest route is to arrive on either the M57 or M58 motorways which both end at the same point, Switch Island. From here follow signs to 'All Docks' on the A5036, continue to follow the A5036 until you reach a roundabout under a flyover with signs to Crosby and the A565. Turn right at the roundabout following the signs to Crosby and A565. You will join up with the A565 but stay in the left hand lane. At the first set of traffic lights turn left into Cambridge Road, there is a brown tourist sign, 'Antony Gormley's Another Place' for the statues at this junction. Drive straight along this road at the end of which there are two car parks adjacent to the marine lake. The beach and statues are a 5 minute walk from the car park.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Been there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The statues are brill, took my son earlier in the year (similar sort of day by the look of it)!
My overriding memory of crosby beach however, is getting very drunk at a friends posh house party and taking her dog for a walk to the beach with friends at 4 am...could the dog remember it's way home???? No it bl888y well couldn't...stumbled back into the house at about 8am from what I recall after walking the streets of Crosby looking for it. Gave friend down the banks for not taking her dog to the beach enough!!!!!
Sorry slightly off topic, but good memory (hazy memory if I'm honest) of watching the sunrise on Crosby beach. Well wroth a visit...but don't rely on the dog to get ya home!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 02:21 PM
ps really well written piece duboing, well done you!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Ha-ha-ha! You're lucky you didn't get hypothermia!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Freaky statues Dont think i'll be visiting any time soon
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow thanks for that - like the statues (I think), although they seem a bit spooky too Thanks for the info ..it's so different from my neck of the woods although we do have a tidal esturary that comes right up the river at high tides too!
XX
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 06:04 PM
WOW !!! that brought back some memories, my old stomping ground
I was born on Oxford Road, went to St Edmunds Junior and infants as did my daughter for 2 years until we moved to California.
I used to take my dog Rambo and my grandads dog Karl down there every week....and a few other dogs. The one photo...3rd one down, about half way along the pipe (is that the sewer line??) is where my sister got stuck in quicksand when she was 7, she ran after my friends dog, the dog went through it and she got sucked down to her knees and lost her shoes and socks....my mom near throttled me....being the oldest it was obviously my fault...all of 9 years old

Never seen the statues, last time I was in Liverpool was 1997.

Thanks
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

I miss it all..

We had a beach party there last year, could see the men

It is lovely
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 06:35 PM
somewhat unusually, it was a warm night, lovely sunrise and altogether glorious time...til the dog couldn't get us home...it was funny...I was laughing the whole time, not sure friends were too impressed at that!!!!!
The statues are fantastic. Worth a look!!!
When we were looking for them I couldn't remember what they were called (havd trouble finding the beach that time!) and thought the AA signs for it 'Anthony Gormley's Another Place' were for s posh new restaurant...if I had lost anymore braincells when I was pregnant with my son i'd have been in real trouble.....
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks all. I'm glad you like it

DG - we don't want your sort lowering the tone anyway

Flipper - this is my adopted home, but I love to hear locals reminisce. I'm glad to have helped bring back some memories. Oh, and that pier thing is marked on the OS maps as a gas pipeline, but I have my doubts...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >