Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Burns mini-bites to Adult version.

Ok, after worrying about my pups looking rather skinny once they come off Burns mini-bites and onto adult, I think we've found out why.

As a 6 month old pup they have approx 200 grms MB per day, once changed over to adult it tells you to feed them 100 grms per day. Checked with Burns and they say you should continue using the mini-bites amount until the pup reaches around 12 months, then gradually decrease it. So basically if you follow the feeding instructions on the bag, you could be feeding your 6-12 month old pup 1/2 of what they should be having .........hence rather skinny pups!

It has been pointed out to Burns that maybe they should put this feeding info on their bags!

Just thought it important to point this out, especially as pups are going through an important time in their growth at this age.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 08:50 AM
good point CC ...have to say I have advised my owners to mix mini bites and adult till a year old
good point
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I spoke to a couple of the nutritionists at Burns regarding changing to adult food and they advised me to change Rosie onto adult Burns at 5-6 months of age but to continue feeding at a rate of 20g per kilo body weight until she is around 8 months old and then drop to 15g per kilo, fianally dropping to 10 grams per kilo at around 10-11 months of age.

Rosie has been kept very lean being fed Burns since she was 8 weeks old, she has a good waist, and you can see the line of her ribcage as she moves but she is not too skinny, just nice and lean as I believe a growing active pup should be.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 01:07 PM
An easy mistake to make! Thanks for drawing our attention to it

I've been very pleased with the Burns minibites. Although Bongo, being used to a diet of raw mince and Pedigree mixer, still thinks I'm starving her, she looks great, is doing nice poos and has boundless puppy energy
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 02:28 PM
As long as Bella (10 weeks) continues to grow at the rate she's growing - and continues to eat the mini-bites, as my pups normally go off it (can't say I blame them it smells pretty bland), I'll continue to feed MB's as long as possible.

Inca went through a real skinny stage once changed over and so did Lily, Lily is now 18 months old and 10.5kgs which isn't too bad but that's through feeding Arden Grange.
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Our 3 (mini wire dachshunds) were bought up on BMB and were okay till about 5 months when they became skinny wee things. I contacted Burns and they stated that they preffered pups to be lean side and that on the amount I was feeding was more than recommended. They suggested that we put them on the large breed puppy Burns, which we did but had no effect. I eventually ended up putting them on Pro plan for a couple of months to get their weight up to nearly 10lbs and reverted back to BMB for the one we kept. She is now 10 months and still well under 10lbs but looks okay.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2006, 10:47 AM
When we got our dog as a pup (around 18 months ago) the breeder was handing out Arden Grange samples, but I was a bit bothered about the high protein content (I gather from what I read that too high a protein can affect joints later on) so settled on burns minibites, and she was fine. Tollers are very energetic, but being retrievers will also eat anything! Changed her over to adult food around 6 months, I think, and she's fine, although I feed a bit over their stated amounts as she's basically a working breed.
Treatwise, she loves raw carrot (is that because it's sweet?) and cauliflower - must be better than those coloured sticks and shapes!