Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Longleat safari and taking your dog.

Just got back from holiday and Northern Inuit dog show. Which by the way Brodie got 1st in Best Yearling and Reserve Best in Show
We took the dogs down to Longleat as we particularly wanted to see the wolves there.
The kennels are immaculately clean, basic stone but have water bowls filled ready.
You pick a lock up at the entrance and the kennels are just ahead with parking. If your dog isnt used to laying on a concrete floor you can take your own dogbed or blanket.
My two would fret if I parted them so I put them in one kennel. A little tight but they could lie side by side stretched out okay. I gave them some treats and I didnt hear a peep out of them when leaving or when going to pick them back up. I felt comfortable leaving them. The entrance staff keep the key in case of any emergencies and you just pick the key up when you return.
I have to say the staff were so accommodating and friendly. Even recognised some from the tv programme.
We went in the morning as we knew it was feeding time. When we left in the afternoon it was empty but imagine the animals would of fallen asleep by then.
Watch out if your going through the monkeys we saw them ripping rims off cars and breaking aerials off those who forgot. Well worth going round though, they eye up your car and see if it looks exciting. Ours obviously was, we had what sounded like a tea party on our motorhome.
Just a few photos for you.
[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/wolves/0505310006.jpg[/img-big]

The wolves
[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/wolves/0505310016.jpg[/img-big]
[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/wolves/0505310014.jpg[/img-big]
[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/wolves/0505310007.jpg[/img-big]
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Congratulations on the show what a great result! Glad to hear the kennels are well maintained I may have to make a trip later in the year I love longleat and my only worry was loki so now I have nothing stopping me!

Fprgot to say, great pics looks like you had great weather for it!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Glad you had a great time

Can you stop to watch some of the animals as long as you like or do you only get to drive through? I would have wanted to stop and watch the wolves and tigers etc for ages.

Dunno about those monkeys though!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Glad you had a great time

Can you stop to watch some of the animals as long as you like or do you only get to drive through? I would have wanted to stop and watch the wolves and tigers etc for ages.

Dunno about those monkeys though!
Yes they let so many in through the gates, we stayed for ages with the wolves. They get on a tanoy but you have to keep your windows shut so you cant hear what they are saying. In our case we opened ours a bit so we could hear the wolves doing there pecking order. In the second photo on the right you can see the omega looking at us. He took alot of stick for trying to eat with the pack. The bitch standing over him we called Brodie!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow, great piccies Luz - love that Lion piccy, its fantastic. They only had the one lion at Chester Zoo when we went last year - I was a bit dissapointed The wolves look quite intriguing too, what were they eating?

Well done to Brodie on doing so well in the shows
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Wow, great piccies Luz - love that Lion piccy, its fantastic. They only had the one lion at Chester Zoo when we went last year - I was a bit dissapointed The wolves look quite intriguing too, what were they eating?

Well done to Brodie on doing so well in the shows
Thankyou Janet x They only had this one male lion but he had lots of wives and cubs. I was mainly using my video camera luckily the cubs were very playful chasing the crows. They also had a white tiger and 2 Bengal tigers.
I think the wolves had cuts from a deer. It was thoroughly dissected by the time we arrived.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
lovely pictures - really love lions!

thanks for the info too - will be very useful if we want to go later in the year - when it's less warm

xx
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Great pictures Miss K, i watched a Tv show a while ago with him off Castaway presenting about the lions there. Glad you had a good time
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Congratulations on the show result Luz Thanks for posting the Longleat pics
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Thankyou for telling us about the kennels, really good to know they are OK.

Glad you had good time, lovely photo's!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >