Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 07:26 PM

cat collar and lead??

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought you should never attach a lead to a cat's collar!

In the one attempt I did make to keep my cat on a lead (she didn't like it ) I used a harness as I was under the impression it was dangerous to control a cat via it's collar.

I've been looking on ebay for a dog collar and lead set and keep coming across cat collars and leads. I've took a good look at these and they're not harnesses, they are collars.

Am I wrong, or should these not be advertised as cat leads?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I've just started harness and lead training Moli. Thought a lead on a cat collar was daft
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 09:37 PM
The whole point about a cat collar is that part of it should be elasticated in case it gets caught up, so if you put a lead on that the cats will divest itself of both within seconds. I did try a harness once when I had a cat that had to be kept in (but still needed fresh air) and came across problem number 2 - the ability of a cat to divest itself of absolutely anything it wasn't born with by hitting the "whirling dervish" button and achieving an escape time that David Blane would envy.
And don't even THINK of having another go......
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I read that their necks are too fragile to take the strain like dogs do so you should always use a harness...

I just worry that if this is right (and I'm not dreaming) then people are buying cat collar and leads from so called pet shops who should know better than to sell things like that.

Glad Moli will let you - as soon as I put Smudge's harness on she lays down and refuses to budge (to be fair, she is
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
The whole point about a cat collar is that part of it should be elasticated in case it gets caught up, so if you put a lead on that the cats will divest itself of both within seconds. I did try a harness once when I had a cat that had to be kept in (but still needed fresh air) and came across problem number 2 - the ability of a cat to divest itself of absolutely anything it wasn't born with by hitting the "whirling dervish" button and achieving an escape time that David Blane would envy.
And don't even THINK of having another go......

ah - perhaps that's why you shouldn't use a lead with them then! I always thought it's because their necks couldn't take it!

Thanks for shedding some light!