Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Things are looking up!

Have been having a really bad week and Loki has been a nightmare ignoring me and doing as he likes but looks like we have turned a corner!

We went for our walk after work last night same as we do every day and he was alot more responsive then he has been for the past couple of nights, concentrating on me nearly all the time and for the first time ever me not catching sight of an approaching dog first didnt result in him ignoring me completely whilst he runs off to play, he actually came back first time I called mid chase which is a real achievement for us because once he starts chasing another dog it takes ages to get him back (he doesnt go out of sight just runs round like a mad thing!) he did take the treat and run off again before I had chance to get his collar (usually treat and grab at same time but missed!) but he did come back again when I called and as it happened the dog and its owner were lovely and they had a nice play together.

Then we went to ring craft last night and he was brilliant loads calmer than last week and walked really well to heal round the ring and was excellent weaving in and out of the other dogs without trying to get to them! The handler said he has lovely movement, so its looking promising!
I have been recommend a training group and alot of the people and dogs from ring craft go so Loki will already know some of the dogs there. Going to call the number I have been given in a bit to find out abit more about it!

I have been having a really stressfull week at work and think Loki has picked up on my mood (not that I am stressed with him, they just sense these things dont they) and acted up cause of it, last night was feeling less stressed and made a big difference! Does anyone else noticed a difference in their dog when they are having a bad week?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Maybe that explains my week. Had really bad day Tuesday (and so did OH) and Rox was REALLY playing up that evening, then the same again the next evening. just 'to get out of the wee-smelling house' last night i went over to my sisters. And Roxy was as good as gold, my sister and her OH noticed Roxy was a lot more boisterous, but the good thing was she wasn't annoying US. she played happily with thier dogs and did all her wee's and poo's outside. I also was less stressed because i got to talk to people outside of work and home.

Again this morning, even though it was raining she did a wee and poo outside . Tonight were over at my sisters again (fixing car) so i'm actually looking forward to going home for once. So i agree with your statement, i think when we are stressed the dogs know and really play on it.

Well done with Loki on the training side, what a big achievment!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Maybe that explains my week. Had really bad day Tuesday (and so did OH) and Rox was REALLY playing up that evening, then the same again the next evening. just 'to get out of the wee-smelling house' last night i went over to my sisters. And Roxy was as good as gold, my sister and her OH noticed Roxy was a lot more boisterous, but the good thing was she wasn't annoying US. she played happily with thier dogs and did all her wee's and poo's outside. I also was less stressed because i got to talk to people outside of work and home.

Again this morning, even though it was raining she did a wee and poo outside . Tonight were over at my sisters again (fixing car) so i'm actually looking forward to going home for once. So i agree with your statement, i think when we are stressed the dogs know and really play on it.

Well done with Loki on the training side, what a big achievment!
Thankyou! Yes it certainly seems to make a difference! I didnt make the conection until I was less stressed and he was much beter! You will get there with the house training, is frustrating when they seem to go backwards and you end up with loads of accidents all at once but then it gets better again! We have just had a relaps with Loki with him playing up, he is very clear that he wants to go out when he needs the toilet but he went through a patch of not asking occasionally and just going inside, after having no acidents at all for awhile its been abit of a shock and the smell lingers and isnt nice! Although did notice he has been weeing loads so going to keep an eye on that incase theres a medical reason for it!

Have fun at ur sisters, im sure roxy loves playing with her dogs and at least by the time you do get home she should have warn herself out abit!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
You will get there with the house training, is frustrating when they seem to go backwards and you end up with loads of accidents all at once but then it gets better again! We have just had a relaps with Loki with him playing up, he is very clear that he wants to go out when he needs the toilet but he went through a patch of not asking occasionally and just going inside, after having no acidents at all for awhile its been abit of a shock and the smell lingers and isnt nice! Although did notice he has been weeing loads so going to keep an eye on that incase theres a medical reason for it!
Nice to know i'm not the only one. The problem is Roxy doesn't ask to go out yet and she is so random, she never does it in the same place twice, and she usually does it half way through walking. So we REALLY have no idea when she is about to go, we just end up guessing sometimes and take her out and she doesn't do anything. But with all things it takes time and i'm sure she'll cotton on one day (also sometimes she just wee's out nothing bigger than a penny, that gets my back up, its such a pointless wee!)
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Nice to know i'm not the only one. The problem is Roxy doesn't ask to go out yet and she is so random, she never does it in the same place twice, and she usually does it half way through walking. So we REALLY have no idea when she is about to go, we just end up guessing sometimes and take her out and she doesn't do anything. But with all things it takes time and i'm sure she'll cotton on one day (also sometimes she just wee's out nothing bigger than a penny, that gets my back up, its such a pointless wee!)
It all takes time you will get there in the end! It took awhile for Loki to learn to ask to go out. Maybe you could try the bell method, you teach her to knock the bell and make it ring, then every time you take her out you get her to make the bell ring before going out she should learn if she wants to go out to ring the bell, I must admit havent tried this myself because Loki just throws himself at the door when he wants to go out so I dont need to use it although might be a good idea to teach it instead to save the doors! I have heard it works quite well though. Loki changes pace and sniffs more when he needs to go to the toilet, he gets quicker for some reason and walks with a purpose!
mel123uk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Well done on Loki and the training, your right about the pick up pace and sniff for the loo, trouble is sometimes charlie finds the odd bit of treat he missed on the floor and does the same motion only to be whipped outside (poor thing has to then refind said bit of treat).