Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Rabbits

My Mum has 2 Rabbits Male, Female she keeps them apart,but when she was poorly she had the Young(13) girl across the Road come over to clean ,feed, play with them. Well it now looks like one is Having Babies

What I need to know if she does when do they have to be parted before they start to mate

I know the babies need leaving well alone ,but when is it safe to touch.

Thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2006, 07:42 PM
As soon as babies are born tehy will breed again ...
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2006, 08:14 PM
They are not kept Together I wanted to know when Babies needed to be seperated

Have just found this

Around day 30 She will make a fur lined nest and give birth. If she has not given birth after day 32 then she was not pregnant and can be remated.

It is important that you leave her alone with her young for at least 14days. The young should now have their eyes open and will be covered in fur. You can now give the hutch a good clean out.

The young will wean themselves naturally at four to five weeks of age and should be separated from the Doe and be sexed at six to seven weeks old.

The young can then be rehomed at no less than 8 weeks old.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Hiya! The British Rabbit Council, Rabbit Welfare Association and RSPCA all recommend that babies stay with their mum for AT LEAST 8 weeks. Although they often stop suckling younger, the stress of the change can affect their immature guts and makes them much more prone to a number of life threatening illnesses. Male rabbits don't become fertile until around 12 weeks so you are perfectly safe to keep them all with mum for at least 8 weeks. I've never bred but know of several people that have had accidental litters, the usual advice is that Mum will need extra food and hay whilst she has kits, she will only feed the kits once a day, usually at night, so don't panic if you don't see her feeding them, as this is normal. It is also fairly usual for a first time mother to only have a small litter, and sometimes she does not know what to do so it is also not uncommon to lose a couple of kits. If this is the case, please be assured it is nothing she or you have done wrong.

In the meantime, why not suggest to your mum that she gets the male rabbit neutered - that way he can be introduced to the female bunny once the litter is all grown up, and they can live happily together. I hate to say it, but it is rather unkind to keep entire rabbits in the same vicinity - they often get very frustrated that they can smell a potential mate but can't get to them. Rabbits are naturally social animals and love being together once they have been carefully introduced on neutral territory.

Fluffy x