Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Vet visit: sickness, not eating, sad

I took Daisy to the vets this morning. She has been sick every day since Monday this week. She is also on/off her food (even fresh chicken or tuna), and yelped last night when I tickled her under her chin. She is also a bit miserable.

I'm more worried than normal (I know, I know I always worry about them...)

The vet said the eating symptoms (she has been finding it difficult to eat sometimes) are symptomatic of gum/mouth infection and has given her antibiotics (2 types). He thought her sickness may be down to drinking too much water because of the diuretics and has said he can't feel anything wrong. I now have liquid food to give her.

He wants to see her again on Monday and has asked me to bring a urine sample. A check on that will confirm if she needs blood tests.

When I told him about the symptoms he was quite sad and negative, almost as if it was to be expected, if you know what i mean

Someone told me that this is often a sign of an oldie dog's insides 'breaking down'.

On the positive, her dripping has stopped as the Propalyn has kicked in.

I tell you, it's like spinning plates
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Cant offer help I am sorry to say, just support and to say I understand how you are feeling, having a long term sick or a failing dog drags you down and makes you sad and there is not a lot more you can do apart from offering TLC and hoping things improve.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Im just curious, your vet gave you the anti biotics without actually checking if the teeth or gums are infected? Some anti biotics can cause vomiting especially things like keflex if its taken on an empty stomach.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Katrina Daisy may be off her food because eating/chewing is too painful for her

When she does eat the food may be going down whole because she can't chew it , then she brings it back.

If you can get the liquid food down she may be a bit brighter ..also try putting some honey on your finger and she may lick it off..soft food like porridge/scrambled egg and honey are easy to eat and digest too
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks all.

Flipper, it took some time but he managed to have a good look around her mouth and saw the infection at the back around the teeth.

Mini, I've just tried her with the liquid food, and she likes it fortunately I'll give her scrambled eggs in the morning.

Thanks again, hopefully she'll pick up over the next few days. I hope the urine test is OK and will let you know next week. K.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Katrina, have said this on here before but will say again as it has rescued more than one dog from becoming more sick than they are already. Cook some skinless chicken in loads of water (nothing else) when cooked so the meat falls apart put it through a liquidiser and then feed warm or at room temperature a tablespoon at a time every hour or half hour as seems suitable. If it stays down increase the amount.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Katrina, as just going to say the same as Thordell. You can even do a whole chicken, when its cooked take the meat off the bone when its cooled & let the liquid cool in the fridge, you`ll find a layer of fat on the top of the liquid, the fat can be lifted off & discarded, the liquid then used with the meat to liquidise it. You can then freeze it to take out daily.

Hope things get better for Daisy, can`t be easy I know.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear about Daisy, Katrina. Hope she improves very soon xx