Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2006, 08:01 AM

Black Patches on Skin

Pixi is a JRT, shi is about 2 now and in the past week we have noticed black patches turning up on her skin. First in her armpits and now around her knees, stomach and ankles. I thought I would do a search here before taking her to the vets and I have found that it is just pigmentation. So, that's OK then?? Or should I still take her?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi, it depends if she has any other symptoms such as itchiness, thickening of the skin, soreness, loss of hair, bad odour etc. Skin turning black can be caused by several health problems
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:00 AM
My dog has black patches underneath his hair too but he has had them since he was young. Perhaps if the patches have only just started appearing it might be wise to check with the vet if they are okay.
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I think if you are really not sure that a trip to the vet is in order. It may truly be nothing but only a vet can know for sure and then you'll be more at ease.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:02 AM
The only thing the has got is Demodex mites on one cheek and under her tail but she is having treatmnent for that. This patchiness isn't the same as that at all and she has no other symptoms

I will mention it to the vet as a precaution when I take her for her check up though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
Hi, it depends if she has any other symptoms such as itchiness, thickening of the skin, soreness, loss of hair, bad odour etc. Skin turning black can be caused by several health problems
Hi Bibby as Christine says it depends on other symptom, if there are none of the above and no other symptoms or hair loss it may just be dark spots of pigmentation, but I would certainly mention it to the vet
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, will do. I was freaking out about it last night. But she really doesn't have any other symptoms and I was looking at some pikkies of white dogs and they have the same looking freckly patches as Pixi. So I am reassured today. Will be going to vets within a week anyway for her Demodex check up.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bibby
Yes, will do. I was freaking out about it last night. But she really doesn't have any other symptoms and I was looking at some pikkies of white dogs and they have the same looking freckly patches as Pixi. So I am reassured today. Will be going to vets within a week anyway for her Demodex check up.
Yes my dog is white too and he had a disastrous haircut last year and you could see all the black spots underneath his coat and he looked like a spotted pig It does sound very much like pigmentation though so don't worry
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2006, 10:48 AM
LOL I was on the bed last night with a torch in one hand and a magnifying glass in the other while Pixi helpfully laid on her back with a silly grin on her face. My DH was in fits.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 11:53 AM
My motto is, if in doubt or worried visit the vet, they will charge you but if you feel better it is worth it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >