View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Puppy food - how different is it from the adult food?

I asked my sister to get some food for Benji from Pets at Home on Sunday because my OH was decorating and it would have meant him breaking off to take me there because I don't drive. Well I told her to get Wafcol Adult Salmon and Potato and she came back with Wafcol salmon and potato PUPPY food.(its the complete dried food) She said they didn't have the food I wanted in and that this would be okay. I know it's not ideal but would it harm him to be on it for a couple of weeks? It says on the packet for small and medium breeds from 3 weeks to 12 months. Actually I have just remembered the puppy food at pets at home is on a separate aisle to the adult dog food and I reckon she has just seen the Wafcol puppy food and thought that was all they had because I have never known them not to have Wafcol all the time he has been on it. It would be a shame to waste it now though cos I have opened it but if it is going to do him any harm then I will go and buy some more.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey I wouldnt risk it now he's just settling down... why not buy a new bag and use the puppy food for tit bits?
H xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2006, 12:51 PM
puppy food has a higher calorie content than adult food as a rule and if they are both the salmon and potato i wouldn't have thought it would make too much difference in the short term.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 12:58 PM
as said above its higher in cals and protien....i would get an adult bag and add a little puppy food to it just to use it up
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Puppy food should be higher in protien and usually in fat, more to the point you should not change a puppies food quickly it should be done over 10 to 14 days if you are not to cause a stomach upset.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
as said above its higher in cals and protien....i would get an adult bag and add a little puppy food to it just to use it up
I agree, might give him the trots
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:03 PM
last time we had food deliverd we had a bag of senior light by mistake I have just added a cupful to the bin with 4 cups of normal..it will soon go
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I KNOW

THE PERFECT SOLUTION!!!!!!!

get him a friend
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:10 PM
get a puppy ..........................