Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2006, 04:29 PM

diagonised with diabetes, would really appreciate any advice

Hi we have just come back from the vets, our sammie girl has been diagonised with diabetes, i am still in shock, we have been given a dvd to watch and was told by the vet that we have 2 choices to get on with and follow the routine or put her down, i cant believe it, i know it is gonna be hard, so i would really appreciate any advice from anyone who is dealing with condition.

thanks
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:33 PM
No words of wisdom, just wanted to let you know you are being thought of. xx
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Trish
No words of wisdom, just wanted to let you know you are being thought of. xx
thank you sweetie
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:39 PM
no advice sorry ......you need some time to take it all in hun x
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
no advice sorry ......you need some time to take it all in hun x

i know it was a shock, i am still shaking
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Sorry your girls not well have a look here might be of help. Diabetes(I'm a diabetic BTW)isn't the end of the world it is manageable
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:55 PM
It must be a shock but is not too difficult to learn to control, forget the second option and set about dealing with it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi beanieman first don't stress, it's managable once you get your dog into a routine and stabilised on medication.

I have known a couple on Diabetic dogs including my friend's cocker (it went to skin and bone before it was diagnosed and ate everything ) they managed perfectly well.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Rosie our eldest wheaten is diabetic, and we cope with it really easily The hardest part is getting them stable (cause the vet has to find out how much insulin the dog needs to be normal) they will probably have your dog in for a few days to monitor her blood sugar. I have to say this can be pricey depending on your vet. Rosie just needs two injections in the scruff on her neck, twice a day after her food, and she is fine. It’s really easy to give them to her and she doesn’t react at all. It will depend on your dog just how much insulin she needs. Hope all goes well, chin up, let us know how it goes

sarah xxxx
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2006, 06:06 PM
My Rott, Babe, was diabetic, she did great for 3 years with it once she was regulated. (developed bone cancer later on and had to be PTS). You do have to be strict with the diet and if there is any reason to be on any meds for other problems in the future the diabetes will need to be taken into account, your vet will be up on that though.

With my dog, the previous owner was out of town a lot and his wife was a little preoccupied with their toddler so the dog pretty much lived outside, she had a couple of seizures and was hospitalized for a couple of days each time, then he asked me to take her, I was able to check her blood glucose levels at home but I can honestly say that she was never close to being at a critical stage again.

In the large majority of cases there is no need to PTS over this. (just my opinion)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >