Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Advice please? Bandage slipping down & pressure sore

As you all know Teagan had an operation just over a week ago, to remove a lump on her foot.

At the first bandage change we discovered a pressure sore, where her dew claw has been pressed against her leg as it had swollen up.
She's been going back to the vets every few days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) for bandage changes.

Yesterday I had to change her bandage myself (the vets gave me the bandage etc on Friday just in case), as the top part had slipped down, and her claw had slipped back next to the skin - obviously against the sore.

Today, it has slipped down again.....I keep pulling it back up a bit, and have tried to bandage it so her claw stays on top of the padding, and a few layers of bandage, but for some reason, her claw must be double jointed, and always works it's self back into the dressing, and back against the skin.

I've run out of bandages & tape, and the shops are closed.

I phoned the surgery, and there was a message saying they are closed, but for 'genuine emergencies only', ring a mobile number.

Is this a genuine emergency? Teagan isn't in any pain/discomfort.
She's walking around pretty much normally, and the operation site is healing well, and staying covered.
Our appointment is at 10am tomorrow, but I don't know weather to wait until then....as I don't think this is a 'genuine' emergency

Sorry it's so long!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Could you put a sock on it to help it stay in place better. Our GSD cut an artery in his foot and was bleeding like mad and I phoned our vet and he told me to apply pressure to stop the bleeding and put a sock or two on him until morning. Might not be any good in this case though.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 04:58 PM
She has a sock on already lol
I've put it over the bandage, and i'm trying to keep her as still as possible (poor thing, i've mad her sleep all afternoon).
The claw is still out of the bandage at the moment....so i'm hoping with minimal movement, it will stay that way!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:32 PM
what about tubigrip ...would that help ? you should have a chemist near you open today

if thats no good then just ignore me LOL
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Unless there was a way to make the tubigrip stay in place...her claw would go back in again
My Mum drove around, and the only place open was tesco Express, and Mum went in, and all they had was normal plasters
No bandages, or micropourus tape etc!!

I'm just keeping my eye on her at the moment, and her claw is sticking out of the bandage, so not on the wound, and luckily she's not attempting to lick it!
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:46 PM
From how you have described it. I wouldn't overly worry and feel it would be ok until tommorow.

If you are still worried about it being covered I could only suggest that you could ask neighbours with children who may have something in there first aid box.

Hope everything is fine and all goes well tommorow.

Min xxxx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:18 AM
This girl rejects bandages!!

We're down to no bandage, and just a sock
The last bandage came off in the night, and it've just unwound the bits that didn't come off.
Not really a good thing considering the two wounds she has!!
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:12 AM
You might need to buy a micki boot (sp?). A bit expensive I know but probably the only thing that will stay on.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Katrina342
You might need to buy a micki boot (sp?). A bit expensive I know but probably the only thing that will stay on.

We have boots, but when she has no bandage on, it rubs her dew claw (where the pressure sore is)!
When she has a bandage on, as long as the bandage isn't too thick, she wears the boot to go outside etc, but her feet sweat, so she can't keep the boot on all the time, as sweat makes the wounds worse
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, we've come back from the vets as we went....with a sock

The nurse agreed that the pressure sore will do better with getting air to it, and the stitches on her pad don't need a dressing now, as long as they are covered when she goes outside!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >