View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Whats the best for her? (four year old gsd)

Hi all,
Some advise needed please. I hope my father in law doesn't get chance to read this or i'm in trouble
He has a rescue gsd bitch she's about 4 now i think. he says she's not interested in her food anymore but to be honest she's on a different food every week
they go to agilty most days of the week and he says she is lacking in energy.
personally i feel this is because she hasn't got a stable diet.
any suggestions on what food would be good for her?

thanks kelly
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Does the Rescue organization have any idea of her previous diet, or was she a stray rather than a 'hand-in'?

How does he feed? Does he 'free-feed', i.e. leave food down for her to take when she feels like it?

Which foods has he been feeding?

Does she get between-meals snacks/treats?

Has she had a thorough veterinary check-up to rule out any medical problems since your father took her in?

Is she physically fit enough to undertake agility training "most days of the week"? How many days is "most days"? Does she do full rounds every day? How many rounds does she do per day? Does she get a proper warm-up prior to running? Was she used to agility? If not, did she have a vet check prior to starting the sport? Are her hips and elbows sound? Does she enjoy agility or does she find it a bit stressful?

Are her eliminations, bowel and bladder, normal?

Lots of questions, sorry, but the answers could have a bearing on her eating habits
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi ya
he's had her since she was 6 months. she loves agilty when she's doing it. he doesn't free feed it's a combination of every food i don't think she knows what she's eating.
he's fed her on choice buscuit, tripe, mince with veggies, tinned dog meat. i can't remember the rest sorry.

i don't think she feeds in between meals apart from the odd treat.

she goes to an agility group i have been and they do have a warm up session

her poo's arn't always of the same consistency

hope i answered them ok
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, if the bitch has had a veterinary check-up and there are no medical problems then your Father needs to decide exactly what he wants her to eat. He should choose one good quality commercial dog food (wet or dry) or barf. Put the food down for her at her scheduled mealtimes (best to feed two smaller meals a day rather than one large one). If she does not eat it within 10 minutes then it should be taken up and the dog should get absolutely nothing, except fresh water, until the next scheduled mealtime. A healthly dog will not starve itself to death. She will learn that she must eat what is offered, when it is offered, or go hungry. It will not take much time for this to sink in

Chopping and changing the food will cause inconsistent eliminations and will also encourage her to be a picky eater The lack of energy is a concern. Are you sure that she has had a recent medical?