View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 10:41 PM

Will ice cubes chill the puppy's stomach?

Our pup is just starting to enter the teething stage and we've given her ice cubes tonight. She went daft for them but how many should we give her and can they cause a chill in her tummy?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by trikeschick
Our pup is just starting to enter the teething stage and we've given her ice cubes tonight. She went daft for them but how many should we give her and can they cause a chill in her tummy?
Hi trikeschick I think a large number might, why not try something that can be chewed slowly like a large frozen carrot
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Had an old dog that ate so much ice and snow he managed to lower his body temperature and we had to do something about it. One or two will not hurt but loads might, it is unusual for teeth to cause much noticeable pain but if they have one that is loose and waving about that can bother them and are best caught hold of and removed.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Totally agree Thordell I have a puppy and I had to keep wobbling it to loosen it up, eventually it came out and her adult teeth were perfect, another one of my puppies had them and they were gone swallowed I imagine, a couple of ice cubes should be sufficient but a very good teething ring from your local pet shop would be well appreciated too hope all goes well with your little bundle of fun xx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2006, 07:47 AM
A dampened, knotted, and then frozen tea towel can also be used to soothe the irritations of teething
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 08:17 AM
What age is your puppy?
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 10:36 PM
She's 14 weeks old - her gums aren't red but they're definitely bothering her at certain times of the day. The other half and the kids are covered in nibble marks!

I'll try the t-towel - she loves those anyway lol - keeps trying to bury them in the garden. I've sent the kids to the shop for carrots!

She's got teething rings but she does prefer biting soft things - hence the skin marks!

Cheers

Y
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
A dampened, knotted, and then frozen tea towel can also be used to soothe the irritations of teething
I do that, Ive had people give me the wierdest looks when Ive told them to do it....only thing is I never leave them with it just in case they bite bits off and swallow them.

Depending on breed and the individual dog they can be teething until around 6-8 months old (generally, theres alway exceptions).
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2006, 05:07 AM
I used an old bath towel cut into pieces and knotted and then soaked and frozen, it was a bit more resilient than the teatowel Another you could try is a small ragger soaked and frozen, never tried it with mine but know people that have, my youngster used to chew his ragger all the time when he was teething, I think he liked the texture
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Takara was never bothered by teething rings, we put carrots in the freezer but she just licked them until they thawed out!

However - she loved ice cubes! She did tend to play with them more than eat them, she would jump on them and watch them scoot across the floor!
But she would eat some of them and it certainly seemed to help with her teething, I think you'd need a lot of icecubes for it to cause a problem though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >