Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Do you spend more on your dogs !!!

well i have just bought myself 2 new duvet covers BOGOF ...£19.99 bargain me says then i go an order new vet bedding over £50 ............are we nuts
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Got yourself a great bargain there Inca

Im the same - when I go to buy something for the dogs price isnt an issue (to a certain extent anyway).

But, when I go shopping I find myself thinking things are too expensive eg. "How much?!" ..... "For that?!!"
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Yep me too, scrimp on our stuff but for the dogs, dont go overboard though ahem! Even medication, dogs get the best or so vet says and I buy supermarkets own brands of paracetamol and so on, mind I still think vets overcharge for medication.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I do it all the time
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:21 PM
'fraid so Inca - we all are Dog's beds £90 each - my bed £80 in the sale at MFI!!! Something wrong here i think
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2006, 02:28 PM
We will always look for a cheaper version of what we want for the dogs, but, whatever it may be, they end up getting the best value!

Recently, we decided to get Kali a new comfy bed (he's getting on a bit now, and we thought he'd appreciate something softer and warmer than his old Pedigree plastic bed).

We looked at all the options available locally, and whilst he didn't get the most expensive one, we did fork out £37 for a decently-made version! He has given it his stamp of approval.........

I used to keep an Excel file, with every penny recorded, but the computer ate it and I lost all my data If I remember aright, it showed our expenditure per dog as being about £570 p.a. for "regular" things (e.g. Snorri-dog's epilepsy treatment kept separate).

Quite a bit of dosh, but, IMO, they're worth every penny and more, for their friendship, companionship and amusement. In times past, I've spent £37 on people and never had the same level of "return" on the investment!

Snorri
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
well i have just bought myself 2 new duvet covers BOGOF ...£19.99 bargain me says then i go an order new vet bedding over £50 ............are we nuts
Totally Inca But dont you find most things to buy for our pets is always extortionate? They know we'll pay it coz their our babies
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi.
Yes I'm guilty of it too, I'll go to the shops and pick up the bargains etc but when it comes to Blackie I'll pay whatever I have to. I have seen me some weeks pay more for Blackie's food and treats than I have spent on my self. We'll have to control ourselves.

Ian
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I am awful for buying stuff for Loki cant go into a shop that sells dog toys without buying him something, if I had to decide what to spend my last £10 on me or Loki he'd win everytime!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Luz
Totally Inca But dont you find most things to buy for our pets is always extortionate? They know we'll pay it coz their our babies
The "pet industry" in the UK is worth billions, precisely because of this. I find it ridiculous that I can feed my dogs real raw meat for less than the price of the same weight in a can!

In my butcher's case, he's just trying to make a bit on the stuff he would otherwise throw away, so he sells it off cheap as dog food. Also, as it's direct from a well-controlled abbatoir, it doesn't have anything unacceptable in it (like mechanically-recovered offal). There's no way you can check the contents of a can of (e.g.) Pedigree Chum, which may come from a less-well-controlled source, and which has had its price whacked up simply because people will pay it, in the mistaken belief that anything less is wrong!

My dogs thrive on the things they get, and I don't believe that spending a whole shed-load of cash on the latest commercial junk is going to make them thrive better!

There are obvious exceptions, though - like any vet treatment that they NEED, in which case, they get it, usually regardless of price.

I do admit to (possible) overspending on toys, though - they have boxfuls of balls, kongs, tuggies and squeakies! This is possibly because our local petshop lets them pick their own! I never get supermarket toys, because they are even more expensive, and don't last very long!

Any time Snorri-dog gets to the petshop, he makes a beeline for the toy section, and sits there whining till I pick something up (spoiled git). Even then, I look very carefully and try to assess its durability. His attitude is more like "Hey! It squeaks! It'll do! Just go pay for it and we can start the game!"

When it comes to non-prescription meds (like vivitonin for Kali), the internet is a cheaper source than our vet, who seems to have just a slight inclination towards charging what he thinks the market will bear!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >