Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:12 PM

dandruff - any suggestions?

have noticed when brushing otis that he has loads of dandruff. he is fed on burns ansd doesnt get washed too often - any suggestions?

j
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Is he a generally healthy dog? If in serious doubt, speak to your vet!
I would try adding some oil to his diet to help this. My sisters sbt x had flaky skin and she found that star flower oil helped, but i would recommend starting with cod liver oil just a teaspoon full in his dinner for a couple of days to see if it helps. Also good for 'oiling' those joints!

Starflower oil contains GLAs and can effect hormones. Surprisingly Roxy calmed down during her season whilst on this, and at 10 months old seems to have grown out of the puppy stage rather early (with much apprecation from my sister -- she was a Bit wild) not saying its the oil that did this, but you never know!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Hiya!

Danny used to have a bit of druff so I started adding some cod liver oil to his grub - druff no more
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 03:57 PM
When we got Snorri-dog, knee-high to a peanut , not only did he stink so badly of barn that we could detect him several feet away, but he had severe dandruff, too.

Vet said "any" oil, so, assuming that three-in-one was not what was meant, we gave him a mix of olive oil, sunflower and cod-liver. One teaspoon in the dinner, and it worked a treat, but it cost him his career in comics - "Dan Druff, Pilot of the Future"

Snorri
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:06 PM
could just be dry skin and coat due to central heating ....
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 04:10 PM
We tried the usual medicated shampoo route: it got rid of the pong and a healthy slice of bank account, but the dandruff fought it off. We were left thinking that it was his stuffing coming out!

Snorri
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Groomers Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo and Spray are very good with dry coats they work very well used together
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 09:05 AM
sorry, it's me again.... bells started ringing when someone mentioned sunflower oil, and I remembered that there are oils you need, oils you don't need and oils that are not good at all. Ideally you are looking for a balance of omegas 3 and 6, too much 6 is not good.... also there are EFA inactive oils (can only be used by certain dogs that can 'break' into the complex...there is no way to tell if your dog can) and there are EFA activated oils, these are easily 'accessed' by the body and should be preferred and used over the inactive oils. Its confusing huh? Billinghurst breifly mentioned it in his books, but i found this simplified version just now if anyone is interested....

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id23.html
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi Jodie

Archie gets dry skin from the central heating and he gets a bit flaky too.

I find a combination of evening primrose oil and fish BODY oils (not liver) help a lot.... salmon oil is good (fish4dogs sell it)
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2006, 03:15 PM
When Snorri-dog had his flaky problem, it may have been from something that was lurking in his barn, where his earliest days were spent. The vet said to try "any old oil, but not from the car" (!). So we used a mix of 50% sunflower, 25% cod-liver and 25% olive. The dandruff disappeared fast, and, after a good period of time clear of the "scurf", we stopped giving it. He has been clear ever since.

I worked the mix out on the principle that all three were supposed to be good for people (low polywhatsits, high omega 3, and Italians thrive on the third ). Being one who had a bit of a "classical education" (mostly forgotten now!) I called the mix "canoleum" ("dog-oil").

Whether or not they were the best oils to use, they worked a treat, and, were it not for his jaw defect, he'd be a showstopper!

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >