Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:54 AM

We are trying Dog walker!

We are meeting up with a dogwalker on Saturday!

The reason is that both me and Gigi have got tons of work to do at the moment, and every few days we are having to skip walking the dogs. I don't think it's fair on them especially as on those days we are usually so busy that we don't have a lot of time to pay them attention.

So we decided to ask a dogwalker to walk them 2 or 3 times a week, for the next couple of months. This has the added bonus that Ziggy is quite scared of having someone he doesn't know on the other end of the lead (at training class he refused to move when the trainer tried to lead him into the middle of the hall for a demonstration) so hopefully this will help him get over it.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here used a dogwalker before?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Never had to use one but it's a good idea. Well done
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 10:24 AM
never used one but think it's great that you're doing it for your dogs...well done! All I would say is check how many dogs they'll be walking at the same time...
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 10:34 AM
thanks.... especially for the tip Ailsa I'll make sure I ask her that.

A good omen is that she has asked us to go for a walk with her on Sat. to assess the dogs' personalities. She is bringing a Border Collie and a Yorkie with her to check how the dogs behave around other dogs.

Any other tips on what I should ask her?
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi ooee, i've never used one myself but wolfman is a prof dog walker , and i thought you might benifit from talking to him , he's not on dog web much but i suppose you could always p/m him for info , good luck i think its a great idea .
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I love dog walking we have been on a few at the Peak District for dogs and families, great fun and a good way to spend the whole day as a family
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Well done, I wish more people would use dog-walkers rather than letting their pets go without! Three cheers for you and your other half, being responsible, caring owners!

My brother's girlfriend is a dog-walker. The maximum number she walks at once is currently 4 - and that's because they all live with each other at home. New dogs, nervous ones, dogs that have dog-aggression or bad recall, etc, get walked seperately, always on lead. She varies where she takes them, she ALWAYS clears up after them, and if the owner wants she can introduce training into the walk (such as walking to heel, down-stays, leave, etc). She will feed them if need be, and often looks after them in her own home if their owners go on holiday or business trips.

Your walker should want to know your vet's details, and a contact number for you. She should be insured and have a keen interest in dog-behaviour/training. She should ask you about any problems/habits your dog has both on walks and in the home. You should make sure you have that info when you go to meet her. Ask her if she uses treats, and what kind - and what she'd do in certain situations (ie, if one of the dogs in her care ran off, or attacked another dog).

The other thing to ask for is references. She should have several - if she hasn't got them to hand, ask her to get them before you 'sign the dotted line'. This person will be having unlimited access into your home when you aren't there - you need to ensure she is entirely trustworthy!

Best of luck, I'm sure this will work out fine.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 11:13 AM
wouldn't be without Pat my doggie friend......
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 11:14 AM
How did you go about finding a dog walker?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I haven't use one myself but see one most days on the common The person seems very good and handles the dogs well.

Hope it works for you Ooee and the lovely boys of course
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >