Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Help deleting norton...

Well norton expired this morning..so i decided to download AVG (as reccomended by the tech guys!) but ive installed it and now am trying to delete norton and have been at it for three hours with no joy!
I keep getting a warning pop up from the symantec thingy..saying security alert firewall is turned off
This mess's up the wizard running thats deleting my norton, so it freezes up and i end up having to close it.
I dont know what to do, and havent explained it in the best way, but any advice on what to do to either just delete norton or get rid of the symatec warning and then delete norton will be GREATLY appreciated!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
If i remember right Luke-Norton plonks about 3 seperate programs on your pc so you need to source all of them and delete so they dont conflict.

You should have in add/remove programs:

Live reg (symantec corporation)

Live Update 2.6 (symantec corporation)

Norton antivirus

Just go into each of them and delete the programs,but you will get warnings saying your pc is at risk until your new program is installed.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh that sounds a bit tricky - are you deleting the Norton by going in your add/remove programmes? Is your windows firewall turned on and making it difficult or something
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Ok im still confused..and still having no joy.
Im trying to delete via the add/delete thingy but it keeps freezing up everytime i get so far!!
Maybe i messed it up by installing AVG before deleting Norton?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 04:13 PM
It might be that Luke.

Could you turn AVG off for a while whilst you delete Norton - that might be best.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Luke my norton expired...so I installed AVG while Norton was still on . I still haven't deleted Norton yet though...have just disabled it for now in case I change my mind and want to go back to Norton. I had heard it was difficult to uninstall...I think Steve is right...you have to delete all the component parts.
You could try disabling Norton and then trying to delete it as it sounds like it is its own firewall that is stopping you.
You could also try the help and support section of their website
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Luke my norton expired...so I installed AVG while Norton was still on . I still haven't deleted Norton yet though...have just disabled it for now in case I change my mind and want to go back to Norton. I had heard it was difficult to uninstall...I think Steve is right...you have to delete all the component parts.
You could try disabling Norton and then trying to delete it as it sounds like it is its own firewall that is stopping you.
You could also try the help and support section of their website
My son had the same trouble when he had Norton, he spent hours trying to delete it. If I remember rightly he went on to Norton Website and it tells you on there how to delete it off of your computer.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Try this link
http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?...5&thread=78862
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
goto uninstall programs that should remove most of it if it doesn`t then disable it restart your computer run this progran through regseeker then restart again search for all folders containing norton delete them run the regseeker through again restart the same procedure again untill it has all gone very difficult to remove it but you can and then install the AVAST much better doesn`t take over your computer but protects it
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Right i think it may be at last..working!!
Im crossing my fingers though, but it seems to be working.
I would have just kept norton on..but i kept getting the symantec warnings and its just a pain in the bum!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >