Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 10:28 PM

When boys leave home :-S

Is it normal for boys to forget they have mothers when they leave home?
My brother may as well be living on mars the amount of contact he has with our mum He's 20 by the way. Is this usual? My mum feels like she's done something wrong. I thought maybe it's just something guys need to do when they move out
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm one of 4 girls and we've all kept in close contact with our parents, but my OH doesn't speak or visit his parents that often, I sometimes have to remind him to ring them......I think 'some' men are just born that way...lol.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2006, 10:44 PM
My son sort of left home last November to work away. I'll be lucky to get a call a week and then its because he wants something He rang this week as it was his birthday and wanted me to open all his cards and put any money in his bank account
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm hardly a behavioral expert but I'd say that's perfectly normal. After leaving home ( apart from a Xmas card ) I never contacted my parents for over a year. You've just got other things to think about...mainly having a good time. The contact thing comes later. Or was I just an ingrate?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I think it's just something blokes have to go through! Like "I'm a man now, I don't need my Mam!" He'll be back in touch as soon as he realises he has no money for a take away and doesn't know how to boil an egg!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks I'll let her know
Another reason to beat men with a big stick I think
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Definitely a boy thing - without a doubt. Purse strings snap easily with boys. With girls, they're much stronger and the bond continues to strengthen IMO (although, unfortunately, not in my case )
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks Vicki Men!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Definatley a Boy thing,My eldest Son is now living away from home,he does keep in contact,when he has a problem and needs some advice I know everything is ok,when I don't hear from him.So I try not to take it personally.Don't think they love you any less,they just don't think.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Is it normal for boys to forget they have mothers when they leave home?
My brother may as well be living on mars the amount of contact he has with our mum He's 20 by the way. Is this usual? My mum feels like she's done something wrong. I thought maybe it's just something guys need to do when they move out
Brandiesnap I suppose you could say it is a sign your brother is happy and independent and getting on with his life . As he gets older/ the initial excitement of gaining freedom wears off a little/ he matures/gets a partner your Mother may well find that there will be more contact. You could give him a gentle reminder

My son has always kept in close contact and texts/calls in frequently, I get told off for not calling him and going to his house enough...he rings up to say answer your text woman , I expect you are stuck on Dogweb again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >