View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Possessive aggression between two dogs

Since all the fireworks in November Jack has become an absolute nightmare. He is very frightened and its as if he doesn't feel safe any where any more. Its got to the point that he is now taking it out on Barney and snapping and flying for him aggresively.

I have stopped Jack from being allowed on the bed or on the sofas - as this seemed to be one of many trigger points.
I have also created a bed area just for him to try and create a safe area for him.

I also think I need to build his self confidence up again but I have no idea how I am to do this.

We are making great progress outside with him - we are able to have several sessions where he is off lead but has a long line attatched just in case - and he is becoming really toy motivated (although he will still sell his soul for a sausage)

So my question is - how do I build his confidence and will I ever get my loveable boy back?
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
i hope you get this problem sorted soon , sorry i couldn help
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 06:48 PM
thanks Ella's mum - so do I - lol
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
aww poor jack this must be so frustrating for him try one on one with him,and if he goes for barney again tell jack with a demanding voice NO he will soon realize that hes got to stop but you must be firm sorry im not much help and i hope you resolve this problem good luck
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
we've been doing one on one training with him as well - when he does go for him I take him out of the room for a couple of minutes and before he can come in again I ask him to sit and give a paw - then he comes in and goes to see Barney and gives him a kiss.

I tried saying no firmly but its like he can't/won't listen to me so thats why I take him out of the room. I just don't know if I'm doing the right things in this situation or if I'm making things worse.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
ooh im not sure whether your doing right or wrong have never had to deal with this im not sure on what you could do,how does he react when you take him out of the room
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
he goes back to normal once he has been taken out of the room

I have to be careful with him because he is so frightened and if you raise your voice at him he just becomes more frightened - hes always been a very sensitive dog I think the fireworks just pushed him over the edge and its been a downward spiral in behaviour since.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 09:08 PM
the only thing i can think of is when he goes to go for barney distract him with a toy make a game squeak a toy so that hes focused on you and the toy do it each and every time if hes frightned of a squeaky toy cos of the sound try a ball other than this i cant think of anything else like you said telling him of frightens him
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
thanks so much for giving me suggestions

I will try the squeaky toy - he isn't frightened of them. The only thing that worries me about doing that is will he start on Barney aggressively just to get a toy to play a game

do you think that maybe I think too much
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
No, I'm just like you in thinking too much...lol...Don't worry. It just shows how much you care.

I really hope you can bring Jack back to his old self, poor boy.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >