Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Too thin/should I be worried?

Archie is really skinny

Since about November we have been putting lots of extras in his Burns to put a bit of fat on him for the winter, and no luck so far. I stripped a bit of coat off the other day and it surprised me how thin he looks. I can feel all his ribs

In his food he gets: rice, veg, oily fish, meat, chicken, basically any leftovers and sometimes I will cook something nice for him. He also gets a decent amount of treats and a bedtime biscuit. He eats well but doesn't seem to put on any weight!

Should I be worried? I have even thought about changing him on to raw as I think he is just too thin
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I have had this problem with Kai, one minute he looked skinny and the next he would look fat from the extra i gave him, his leg problem has stopped him getting the exercise he needs, so i put him on Beta, and he looks great with it too!! Ice is on the same, and soon keisha will be on it too
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Teagan was very thin on Burns, sometimes the food doesn't agree with the dog!
How many meals is he on? Try adding an extra meal, or add an extra handful of food per meal.

I've just had to do this to 'fatten' Teagan up after being at the vets for so long!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 02:55 PM
me finks tuti worries too much
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Archie sounds like Star when she was that age, a nightmare to get any weight on her. It has improved as she got older I had to feed her the Burns Active with a higher protein for a while. She was just one of these active dogs that never stopped.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 02:58 PM
India looked like a toast rack on burns..............although handier than a plate
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Lily was very thin on Burns, so we changed her onto Autarky, she looks a lot better now.

The rest are still on Burns though, Daisy looks great now!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
me finks tuti worries too much
LOL maybe I do Inca

Thanks for the replies.. he is very active, even more so now that he has a little brother to run around with all day. He is energetic and happy, I just worry that He is not getting enough food. I don't really want to take him off Burns as he is actually very active and healthy on it.... and I don't really want to feed him a higher energy food cos he'll drive me nuts

Hevvur he is on 2 meals a day, but sometimes doesn't really want his breakfast, though he will eat it if you try again an hour or 2 later. He's lazy in the morning and just wants to go back to bed, not eat

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to increase his food a bit and keep adding the oils and extras... maybe he will fatten up as he gets older
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Hevvur he is on 2 meals a day, but sometimes doesn't really want his breakfast, though he will eat it if you try again an hour or 2 later. He's lazy in the morning and just wants to go back to bed, not eat

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to increase his food a bit and keep adding the oils and extras... maybe he will fatten up as he gets older
That sounds just like Teagan!
She takes ages to eat her breakfast, and gets back in bed after it! lol

I added another 1/2 scoop to each meal when Teagan was extra thin! Soon put her weight back on
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 06:31 PM
erm...is it just me that thinks you should be able to feel their ribs?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >