View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-12-2005, 02:26 AM

Took Harvey to vets. Is this right? (charge for/treatment of allergic reaction)

Harveys face swelled up out of the blue tonight quite badly.Without wasting anytime toke him to the vets .I asked the vet whether it could be an allergic reation and the vet said yes toke his temp .
Then said he would have to stay in has he must go on a drip.When i asked why he said he come back tommorow and well let you no.
Now correct me if im wrong here but shouldnt he have gave Harvey an antihistermin injection striaght away .
The bill £200 for what i dont no.
I cant see it being call out charge as the vet was already there and i had to drive 20 miles to get him there.
Chould this be right.Sorry about the spelling im really tired and only just got back.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by patterlad
Harveys face swelled up out of the blue tonight quite badly.Without wasting anytime toke him to the vets .I asked the vet whether it could be an allergic reation and the vet said yes toke his temp .
Then said he would have to stay in has he must go on a drip.When i asked why he said he come back tommorow and well let you no.
Now correct me if im wrong here but shouldnt he have gave Harvey an antihistermin injection striaght away .
The bill £200 for what i dont no.
I cant see it being call out charge as the vet was already there and i had to drive 20 miles to get him there.
Chould this be right.Sorry about the spelling im really tired and only just got back.
For a nightime fee, that sounds about right to me. Even if the vet is already there, they can still charge you call out after the surgery's closing hours. We had a similar prob after 11pm months ago with Kim;

She looked like this:

Our vet came out and met us at the surgery but after a quick injection and check of her hydration levels, she came home.

I do hope that Harvey is ok...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2005, 03:29 AM
I hope Harvey will be ok. It does sound like a severe allergic reaction and I am sure that the vet did the right thing. He would have prioritized treatment and re-hydration was probably the immediate thing required. I am sure Harvey will look and feel better in the morning.

The 200 pounds is, as Amanda said, probably about right for after-hours consultation & treatment. Also, the vet will probably stay at the surgery for a while to make sure that all is going well
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Hope Harvey is feeling better today - keep us posted
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

31-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Hi P/L, does sound like a severe reaction to something & the thing with it being his face the swelling could block his airways, maybe thats why vet kept him in. It could also cause his body to go into shock, going on a drip helps stop that besides rehydrating the body.

He is in the best place tho, hope he`s better today

You can always ask vet to itemise the bill to see what cost what
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone Harvey is much better now.He had a steriod injection and some antihistermin tablets.The charge was £158 all in so it turned out cheaper than the quote.He didnt have to go on the drip in the end so that brought the price down.
What a nightmare.But its so good to him without that great mellon head poor chap.
Here are some pics of him before and swollen.
[img-big]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/patterlad/DSCF3702.jpg[/img-big]
[img-big]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/patterlad/swellharvey.jpg[/img-big]
[img-big]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/patterlad/swellharvey2.jpg[/img-big]
Thank god his face has gone back down.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Patterdale I hope your little dog is better. It is difficult to comment without having seen your dog at the time, some dogs have a mild allergic reaction to things and are ok with an antihistamine injection, others may be worse and as Christine says may be thought by the vet to be in danger of going into anaphylactic shock where swelling of the throat and tongue restricts the airways and can kill the dog. You vet may have prefer to keep the dog for observation and to administer intravenous fluids. You can ask him for an itemised bill they are supposed to provide one these days ...also think of getting insurance it can cost very little for a young dog.
My dog is subject to allergic reaction and it is very scarey when it happens..the first time we were on holiday in Wales miles from anywhere. I keep ATARAX medication in the house in case it is needed.
The bill is high but about right I would say for out of hours treatment and an overnight stay.

NB sorry Patterdale posted at the same time... please to hear you little dog is better..
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 01:07 PM
So glad to hear that he is ok now. His muzzle on those second photo's look exactly the same as Kim's did. It's awful isn't it, and it all happens so quickly. My vet has told me that it could happen again with Kim as we have no idea what set it off, so he told us to give her piriton (the human antihistamine) Not sure how safe this is though since he neglected to say what dosage

My bill was over a £100, but she didn't stay in, so the damage wasn't that bad for you in comparison. The main thing is, he's ok now and such a cutie he is too.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Hope Harvey is feeling better. My dog Daisy had to stay in the vets on a drip for a couple of days a few weeks ago when she had pancreatis and that cost me £235.
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Aww bless him, he looks a sweet heart. Glad to hear he is better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >