Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2005, 12:32 PM

Poor Merlin :o(

I met my pal Angela in the supermarket yesterday - she owns Merlin, one of Kali's litter, and therefore approaching 12, too. It seems that he is beginning to have problems with his back legs, in that he "sways" a bit, when he shouldn't. I gather it hasn't developed into a real mobility problem, but it doesn't sound like the best of news to me Merlin is a much taller dog than Kali, and more lightly-built (Kali is built like a brick outhouse and stands like Jimmy Cagney!), but nevertheless it makes me worry a little about Kali's laongevity again.

I must try to get over to see Merlin soon (and get a pic of him!) - I have always been fond of him, because he has always been a very friendly, "lollopy" boy, even if he has always been a bit of a Houdini-cum-Casanova! When he was little, he looked as though he had been put together out of spare parts, but he turned into a good example of the BC breed. He seemed to age much faster than Kali, and went grey in the face very early. Kali still looks much as he always has, just a wee bit grizzled now

Snorri
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 12:50 PM
aww im so sorry to hear of this about merlin my bitch was 12 also when her back legs started to give way hope you get to visit merlin
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
hope you get to visit merlin
The trouble is, his house is accessible only by a very bad trackway (unless you're a Houdini-type BC!). I only hope it won't be the last time I see him, he is a great friend in his own right, not just as Kali's brother. Always pleased to see me (lick, lick, lick!) and unhappy to see me leave. I used to puppy-sit him in the early days, when his person got sent on courses from work - he wasn't always keen on seeing his brother (who used to beat him up fairly regularly ), but he enjoyed the walkies and the extra biscuits!

Snorri
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh Snorri, I am sorry to hear about this. Tia is only 8 but if allowed to get wet and cold, her back legs stop working for a good while, and she just lays on the floor, the look of acceptance is heartbreaking

I hope you get over to see Merlin soon and post a photo maybe old or not, Merlin is sure to be a very handsome fella
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2005, 01:17 PM
A handsome chappie he is, too - looks a lot like Kali, but more white than silver. Also, he has one blue eye with a brown splotch, and a brown eye with a blue splotch - a bit piratical!

He did very well at the local shows, lots of firsts, but, on the occasions that the y went head-to-head, Kali usually managed to beat him

He is on the right in this pic, with Angela, showing what he thought of getting beat into fifth place by his brother!

Snorri
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Awww... It is sad when they grow old... I guess we just have to love them more
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2005, 02:11 PM
That's sad Snorrie poor Merlin..I think like humans dogs age at different rates...
Amy has a weakness in her back legs due to age ..I think it is quite important that old dogs (like old people) continue to have a little gentle daily exercise at their own pace to keep everything working.

If we return wet from our walk I always dry Amy with a warm air hairdrier so she is not left with wet legs for a long period of time.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
If we return wet from our walk I always dry Amy with a warm air hairdrier so she is not left with wet legs for a long period of time.
I would too Mini, but Tia hates the sound of the hairdryer. I try to have some towels warming in the tumble dryer and gently dry her that way, but sometimes she still ceizes up
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh dear what a sad thread this is but as you say age comes to us all dogs and humans alike , so chins up and lets all give our dog/s a great big hug , (being careful to avoid aging joints of course)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Aww sorry to hear about Merlin, it is dreadfully sad when they start to ail things, but he is a great age (not that it helps with these things. )

Just because they are from the same litter doesn't mean Kali will be the same.

Hope Angela has Merlin for a long time yet and treasures the time together
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >