View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Bad News For Ozzy/Updated (Anterior cruciate ligament problems, arthritis)

Hello,

I am so upset, Ozzy went to the vets for his X-rays and it is not good news . Not only does he have ACL in both legs but arthritis in both AND a cartlidge problem. I am devastated, he isn't even three yrs old until next February.

Vet prescribed anti-inflammatorys (Metacalm) which he needs to take swelling down before he can have op. But I've heard of so many bad reports to do with this drug, I'm worried about that. More importantly, vet is concerned as it is Ozzys right leg that needs the op more urgently, but it is his left leg that is more arthritic and he is worried that by him being off his right leg it will put a lot of stress on the left and he won't cope.

Even if the op is successful (he will then need the left done) - of course he will still have the cartlidge and arthritis to deal with. Vet basically said that long-term diagnosis wasn't good for him, he will of course get pain meds for the arthritis but he will just get more and more debilatated and he is so young I can't bear the thought of losing him in the near future - I thought it would be years away. I wouldn't care it was only 2yrs ago I lost my gorgeous GSD Jasper with CDRM, he was 8yrs old and from his head to mid-back was as fit as a fiddle & so alert, but the rest of him was disabled. He had to be PTS early because of his illness and he was so alert throughout that car journey, crying thinking he was going a walk - all I can do is picture the same thing happening to Oz. I am heartbroken.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Really sorry to hear about Ozzy, sending good thoughts and hugs to you both.
I have had bad news today about teagans hips.

After he has had his operations, you should think about taking up swimming (if he already doesn't).
It will help to support his bones.
Also, someone more knowledgable will tell you more, but there are lots of supplements to help with arthritis, and you may find he doesn't need the metacam every day!

Hope things work out ok!
xx
frenchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm really sad Ozzysmom and Hevvur. I don't even know what to say as I have never been in that situation, but I can only imagine how heartsore you must be.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh no Anne-Marie

I'm so sorry Poor Oz

I have no knowledge in all this, so will not suggest anything. Just offer my support and hugs

Jeanette
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:03 PM
This is very sad - poor Ozzy and poor you - life can be so unfair at times
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh that's awful It must have been such a shock to hear it was so bad. Poor Ozzy and poor you.

((((hugs))))

It makes it worse him being so young. I don't really know what to say It's so sad.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Oh dear no thats not good news
One worry off your shoulders is to ask your vet to do a blood panel on Ozzy now & then regular checks to keep an eye on the metacam. So don`t worry about that.

You`re very upset right now but if/when you`re ready I can put some links up for you for supplements you could try, to work along with the metacam. Theres some good things out there that might help so try not get too down hearted, not good for Ozzy see you upset eh
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi sweetie

sorry to hear about this - but dont think of it as the end of everything. Bruno was 3 when we got the news that he had severe hip dysplacia and the start of athritis in both hips. You can imagine I was devastated as you are right now. he was put straight on metacam and synoquin.

the metacam has not given him any problems - I have taken him off the snoquin and am just giving him glucosamine every day and fish oils. He doesnt get the metacam everyday - only a few times a week or as he needs it as it does take the edge off if he is really bad. However the main thing that has helped Bruno has been hydrotherapy - he has built up his leg muscles without damaging his joints so his back end muscles are great now and he looks great - I take him once a week but after the winter am taking it back to once a fortnight as his stamina has improved so much.

Speak to your vet about hydrotherapy as itrs a great way to help the joints and a good way to exercise without any joint strain.

if you need any more info give me a shout and give ozzy a hug from us.
its been a year since bruno's diagnosis and he is still as mad and fit as ever - iff not more so !!
dani
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Sorry to hear the news about Ozzy,(((((hugs))))) to you both.
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Hang tough Ozzysmom, it's clearly been a shock to you and I know it's easy for me to say, I'm not in your position; but try and keep your outlook positive.

I hope things pan out for you both.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »