View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Information on BURNS Pet food prosecution.

Taken from the Veterinary medicines directorate.

SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTION OF PET FOOD MANUFACTURER

On 28th July 2005, Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd and its Director Mr John Burns were found guilty of placing on the market unauthorised veterinary medicines. Charges were brought after the company repeatedly published marketing material that stated that the companies pet food product would treat or prevent disease in animals. After a three-day trial at Llanelli Magistrates' Court the company and Mr Burns were both found guilty of two offences under Regulation 3 of the Marketing Authorisations for Veterinary Medicinal Products Regulations 1994. The court imposed fines of £2,000 against the company and £1,000 against Mr Burns. Each defendant was ordered to contribute £5,181 towards costs.

Dawn.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Thursday 24 November 2005

Burns Pet Nutrition Fined £13,000

UK pet food producer Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd and its company secretary John Burns, have been fined for making claims about the medicinal benefits of two of their pet foods. The guilty verdicts were returned following a three-day trial at Llanelli Magistrates Court.

The charges concerned two pet feeds for which claims for medicinal effects were made. According to European Law, any product intended for animals which makes claims for medicinal effects is considered to be a veterinary medicine. All veterinary medicines placed on the market in the UK are required to be authorised by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).

The case was brought after Burns failed to comply with advice given by the VMD on the appropriate marketing of the feeds.

Both defendants were found to be guilty of all charges. Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181. Mr Burns was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Taken from the Veterinary medicines directorate.
SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTION OF PET FOOD MANUFACTURER
On 28th July 2005, Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd and its Director Mr John Burns were found guilty of placing on the market unauthorised veterinary medicines. Charges were brought after the company repeatedly published marketing material that stated that the companies pet food product would treat or prevent disease in animals. After a three-day trial at Llanelli Magistrates' Court the company and Mr Burns were both found guilty of two offences under Regulation 3 of the Marketing Authorisations for Veterinary Medicinal Products Regulations 1994. .
That's a shame, I actually think feeding a good diet free from additives and preservatives is beneficial to health and can prevent illness ....I wonder who started the action ...I should think Mr Burns and his excellent food have upset a few of the multinationals
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Quite agree Mini.

Jas did exeptionally well on Burns. He became a much fitter and happier looking dog for being on it.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
upset a few of the multinationals
I wouldn't be overly surprised. Hopefully the company is big enough to absorb the 'costs' and keep trading, lesson learned...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 07:02 PM
This prosecution apart what a daft law, surely any good food is good for health, at least one can't deny that no food is unhealthy it is I believe it is called starvation.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
To me, as someone on another forum said also, he did no more than the cosmetic industry when they claim "Use this cream and your cellulite will dissappear!"
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
That's a shame, I actually think feeding a good diet free from additives and preservatives is beneficial to health and can prevent illness ....I wonder who started the action ...I should think Mr Burns and his excellent food have upset a few of the multinationals
You're probably right Mini

Both Archie and Ziggy are on Burns and are healthy, happy, shiny and energetic