View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 02:58 PM

sheds hair like crazy - any supplements i can give to help reduce the problem?

ben has a double coat,and hes been shedding hair like mad,i groom him daily and get alot of loose hair that way,but my carpets are covered,so far im on my 3rd hoover
is there any supplments i can give him to help reduce this problem,hes a rough collie x retriever,
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I look after 2 Golden Retrievers for 6-8 months every year and they shed permanently! I cannot believe they are not bald the amount of hair they loose! I will be watching this thread with interest!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Try using the hoover on the dog not the carpet
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Try using the hoover on the dog not the carpet
hed have a heart attack,worlds biggest coward,he runs away when i get his grooming stuff out
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 05:39 PM
i have the same problem with my boys they are loosing all there fur at the moment i give them now a tonic for coats all pet shops sell it well hoping they do i have found that this tonic has slowed down the loosing of the fur you just have to brush the more often but its alot better than having to get the hoover out all the time
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Me too....same problem with Murph! I've been giving him evening primrose oil which seems to help a bit and he won't let me near him with the hoover either....the big wuss!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2005, 09:50 AM
My House seems always to have dog hair tumbling/blowing around the house(only downstairs) like tumbleweed, makes me wonder too why they aren't bald, they never shed at the same time either
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi Bens Mum not a lot you can do I am afraid but it does help to groom every day first with a brush or wide toothed combe folowed by a fine one to remove the loose hairs..at least that way there is less hair around the house
A little oil on the food as Ruth suggests (flax or evening primrose both good for the dog) may help to prevent the coat from becoming too dry in the warm/dry air we now have in our heated houses .
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2005, 02:20 PM
ben seems to shed all year round he can just walk through a room and it floats off him,and the occasional clump of hair will fall off,i seem to be folllowing him around with the hoover
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Grooming Everyday Will Help Once The Dead Coat Is Out It Should Be Much Easier....perhaps A Coat King Or The Rubber Glove Method Might Help .
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >