Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mattiebaby
New Member!
Female 

18-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Dog won't come when off leash

I have had a wonderful rescue dog for a year now. When I first got her, she was very timid and obedient and would always stay by my side. I could let her off leash anywhere and never worry about her because she would come when called. As time went on, she has become more and more comfortable with me and now will not come near me when she is off leash because she thinks that I am trying to put the leash on her ( which I usually am). She still stays near me and won't let me out of her sight but as soon as I try to get her to come or try to get near her, she runs away thinking that it's a game. I only let her off leash at dog parks and sometimes when we are out in the country walking around. Now it takes me roughly 20 minutes to catch her or I need the help of a stranger (she is very timid and obedient to people she doesn't know). When she is on leash, in a backyard, or in the house, she is fabulous and listens well! But get her off leash somewhere and it becomes a battle. Any suggestions??
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Yes .. make it interesting and rewarding for her to return to you. Thus far she is punished in her eyes for recalling .. . What did you used to do when she recalled well? If she wasnt being rewarded and there was nothing better on offer ... why should she?

I personally dont like giving treats but if she loves toys or balls this could be her reward? My Ben loves squeaky toys so you could try giving her a squeaky toy to have a wrestle and a tussle with you after you have clipped on the lead? Whatever trips her trigger.
Tiruriru
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2017, 02:39 AM
I used to have this problem before every time I try to put on the dog tracker when we go hiking.
What I normally do it prepare my dog's fav treat and call him to me first. I make him do some basic commands like "come, sit, and stay" and give him treats after every time. Then I start to strap on the leash and whatnot, then give him a special treat for being behaved the whole time.

It eats through my budget though, so I'd probably skip the extra commands if I were you.
linda2147
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2017, 06:55 PM
she needs to be trained to come to you when called, it may save her life one day. To train to come, get a long rope, like 20 feet long, let her go to the end of the rope then gently real her in as you say come, when she gets to you give her a treat and praise. Its going to take time to undo her bad habits but be persistent and when she realizes there is a treat waiting for her when she comes she will catch on fast